S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so here's the issue I'm trying to address. A few months ago I made a post about my mechanical fan destroying my radiator and the fan itself. So after consideration, I removed it and went the electric fan route. I bought an aluminum radiator with two 12" fans already mounted from Engineering Cooling Products. I also have their wiring harness and A/C harness as well. The wiring harness was on back order when the radiator came so I bought a dual fan harness kit from Jeggs for the time being. Now that I have the wiring harness that I purchased when I bought the fans, I'm going to swap them out. I've researched and researched but has anyone been able to get your temp gauge to work when using a temp sensor other than the factory temp sensor? The wiring kit has it own temp sensor that I will be putting into the block of the motor as so the Jeggs kit that I bought for the interim. Right now it don't work obviously because it's unplugged. I notice that the there are two wires to the connector. What would it take to make the temp gauge work when I put in the new temp sensor and wiring kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
time to get cereal
5,617 Posts
You have to put the fan switch somewhere else. You can't just replace your coolant temp sensor.

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
What he said ^. The computer MUST know the engine temp.
Since it is a 4.3 there are plugs in the heads on the sides that can be removed with some effort that will provide you a place to plug in your fan sensors. Or get the kind that stick in the radiator fins. They work. Make sure you use relays to activate the fans. The temp sensors nor there wiring can handle the amperage a fan uses.

Reactions: Bobarama

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What he said ^. The computer MUST know the engine temp.
Since it is a 4.3 there are plugs in the heads on the sides that can be removed with some effort that will provide you a place to plug in your fan sensors. Or get the kind that stick in the radiator fins. They work. Make sure you use relays to activate the fans. The temp sensors nor there wiring can handle the amperage a fan uses.
Where else on this engine are there to screw in the new temp sensor? I was unaware of that. Relays are being used as the wiring harness for these fans have two relays with two 40 amp fuses. Attached are pictures of the wiring harness with the temp sensor that screws into the block.
Wood Pattern Wire Font Visual arts
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Wire Circuit component
Electrical wiring Gas Wire Composite material Cable
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Wire Electric blue
Household hardware Gas Wood Auto part Engineering

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
276 Posts
Where else on this engine are there to screw in the new temp sensor? I was unaware of that. Relays are being used as the wiring harness for these fans have two relays with two 40 amp fuses. Attached are pictures of the wiring harness with the temp sensor that screws into the block.
Is there a reason the plug locations in the heads are not suitable for you? That is commonly where temp. sensors are located. If the aftermarket wire harness lead lengths are the issue, they can be lengthened (properly) to accomodate sensor locations. My personal preference is the screw in type, and not the ones attached to the radiator fins.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a reason the plug locations in the heads are not suitable for you? That is commonly where temp. sensors are located. If the aftermarket wire harness lead lengths are the issue, they can be lengthened (properly) to accomodate sensor locations. My personal preference is the screw in type, and not the ones attached to the radiator fins.
The location in the heads is not the issue. I have one plugged in now with the Jeggs wiring harness that I'm using. It's plugged in where the factory temp sensor was located so I lost my readings to my gauge. As you can see in the attached pictures the wiring harness has the screw in type temp sensor. I didn't know that there where another location where to put the temp sensor that came with the fans and leave the factory temp sensor installed to control the temp gauge. I'm with you, I'm not a fan of the probe sticking through the radiator fins. When I was researching all of this before I installed the radiator and fans, I was like "hell no" when I saw that application.

·
Registered Offender
712 Posts
It is threaded. It may have a square recess, or possibly a hex recess. The factory used an anaerobic thread sealant when installing the plug(s). That will require heat to be applied to the plug and surrounding iron to soften the sealant (think LocTite) to allow easy removal without destroying the plug and/or the recess. My '03 has a square recess plug right between the #2 and #4 cylinders, somewhat accessible from above.

An alternative would be to install it back into the original location and mount the aftermarket sensor in the intake, just below thermostat housing (water outlet). There is a flat boss there which was provided for that but never machined for a sensor. That flat can be machined to provide a 1/2" pipe thread without interfering with the thermostat and without impeding flow - Depending on the sensor element. The one in your photo appears to be stupidly long for that to work, but an AutoMeter thermal switch is relatively short.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is threaded. It may have a square recess, or possibly a hex recess. The factory used an anaerobic thread sealant when installing the plug(s). That will require heat to be applied to the plug and surrounding iron to soften the sealant (think LocTite) to allow easy removal without destroying the plug and/or the recess. My '03 has a square recess plug right between the #2 and #4 cylinders, somewhat accessible from abobe.

An alternative would be to install it back into the original location and mount the aftermarket sensor in the intake, just below thermostat housing (water outlet). There is a flat boss there which was provided for that but never machined for a sensor. That fltr can be machined to provide a 1/2" pipe thread without interfering with the thermostat and without impeding flow - Depending on the sensor element. The one in your photo appears to be stuipidly long for that to work, but an AutoMeter thermal switch is relatively short.
That's the conclusion that I've come to with installing the original temp sensor back in and plugging the harness back into it. I noticed that smooth spot on the thermostat housing one day as I saw another post on here of an older truck where they use to put the sensors right there. If I can find out what year they did that, I could probably just order that piece. Going back into the block on the passenger side from what you just explained sounds like a PITA. Even though that where I would like to get my temp reading from, it looks like the option you mentioned may be easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts