S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 91 2.8 and i am about to buy a 2.8 out of a 87 model and rebuild it.. what can i do to get more than the stock horsepower? I cant do the v8 because gas is to much and the truck is used for work.

·
no longer drives a dime
504 Posts
their are several other threads about getting more power from the 2.8, I'd personally just suggest swapping in a 3.4, you dont have to modify anything to do it and I think they make close to 180 hp. If your just have to stick with a 2.8 then a high performance cam, headers, exhaust, turbo, or a performance chip would all help.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
ya if you look in lmc they sell the cam/lifters kit and headers.....if you do build it up pl0x post vids of what it sounds like so i can decide to put a v8 in it or stick with the 2.8l....l0l sounds stupid but im weird

·
Remembering My Dad....
179 Posts
they also sell pulleys performance power steering and gear boxes lot of other stuff for 2.8....where can ya get a 3.4? havent seen a 3.4 s10 yet.

·
Remembering My Dad....
179 Posts
is it worth the swap??? and mods for the 3.4 more than the 2.8?

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
the mods are about equal but theres a old saying, "theres no replacement for displacement" a larger motor is going to get more hp off the same mods, buy a 3.4, do a moderate rebuild on it, cam, lifters, and roller rockers, with some heads with little bit bigger valves, and bump ur compression up a bit, and im sure u will be much happier than rebuilding the 2.8

·
Registered
22 Posts
Or save some $$ and drop a 350 in it.. If thats feasible. Or how about an Fageol supercharger? I called them the other day and they're still in buisness. http://www.fageolsuperchargers.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts