S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a limited slip now 3.73......its gotta to go.....its a 7.5 or 7.625 whatever i dont think that matters. I think i should whole nother rear-end that is a posi......next winter she will be getting a 4-link w/ a 9" but untill then.....thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you've got the 7 5/8 rear (28 spline axles), the easy, cheap way is to get the zexel-torsen carrier from SLP. http://www.slponline.com

Jeff

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i looked on SLP'S website and foound some paddle gears....i dont think thats what i want...i think im lost...lol

·
FATBOY
247 Posts
Limited Slip is GM's term of a POSI. If you're looking for a fool time posi, go with a spool. Spools are pretty damn harsh though....not made for everyday driving. I guess you could get an Auburn or a Eaton and they would work a little better, but Zexel's will turn both wheels at most times.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mine dont shes a one wheel wonder except when you dont want it to....thats what i was looking at was the auburn sets.....but i was afraid of breaking something else if it hooks

·
FATBOY
247 Posts
If yours is a one wheel wonder most of the time then it's probably not a Zexel. Or it's in need of repair or something, be sure to check. But everyone I've heard talk about the Zexel says it works great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea shes a one wheel wonder...so whats my options now? I found a 3.42? outta junk yard...98' thats a posi....they want 450 for it

·
FATBOY
247 Posts
Just get a Zexel ($99 on SLP) and ge it installed and keep your 3.73's.

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
So you currently have a "limited slip" and you want to replace it with another "limited slip" out of a junkyard? If yours is worn, why wouldn't the one from the junkyard also be worn? Go buy a new Zexel carrier for $100 and pay someone to install it. Buying used parts and not rebuilding them is a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
920 Posts
994.3sportside said:
Limited Slip is GM's term of a POSI. If you're looking for a fool time posi, go with a spool. Spools are pretty damn harsh though....not made for everyday driving. I guess you could get an Auburn or a Eaton and they would work a little better, but Zexel's will turn both wheels at most times.
no, it is not
different types of all of them, thorsen Style limited slips(such as the SLP) are the best for daily driving and performance handling applications, there are limits to them such as fragility and gear ratio compatibility so "posi" is usually more popular

if your using your truck for drag racing mosly id recomend a Eaton or Auburn posi

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey guys i hava a 97 sonoma ext cab 2wd its a daily driver. I am going to be doing exhaust and efan and sum other bolt ons but when it comes to the rear i am alittle lost. What size gears would be best to get and do i go wit limited slip or pos and what r sum good brands.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts