S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to gain additional 2" of usuable suspension travel

This is for the guys that have a 2" or 3" drop spring on the front of there trucks, and have the trouble of bottoming out quite offten.

edited... now an attached image.

If you look at the pic posted above (borrowed fromm Avtekk) you will see the blue line drawn on the factory bumpstop, you will want to, with a hacksaw, cut the bumpstop down to this line, this alone will give you more suspension travel. NOTE… you will not gain anymore travel by cutting down past this line, or removing the bumpstop totaly, to gain additional travel you will have to do some cutting...

Look at the red line i drew on the back side of the frame, when the bumpstop is removed totally, this is where the lower A arm and the frame would make contact, to solve this problem you can cut this part of the frame out. By cutting the frame on the red line, this will alow the lower A arm to come up higher into the frame. After the part of the frame is cut out, you will want to raise the A arm up until it stops on the frame, this will check to see if it now clears better, you may need to do a little grinding for a nice fit. By cutting the frame out here, you can now run a very small aftermarket poly urthane bumpstop, and not here that annoying metal on metal sound.

Attachments

·
Nagaremono
144 Posts
what if the truck doesn't bottom out on the frame, but the tires rub in the wheel well? What should i do?

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only thing you can do.. remove them! but your going to have all kinds of fun relocating the stuff on top of the fenders, and make sure to cut the inner part of the fender out also.

C

·
0 Posts
98layinframe said:
the only thing you can do.. remove them! but your going to have all kinds of fun relocating the stuff on top of the fenders, and make sure to cut the inner part of the fender out also.
Is there anywhere that describes this procedure in detail.............????

I need to do it, like tonight!!!!:)

·
In a matter of time...
342 Posts
S10xDrift said:
what if the truck doesn't bottom out on the frame, but the tires rub in the wheel well? What should i do?

what size tire are you running? im having the same problem as you with the stock size for zq8s.. im thinking about going smaller.

·
Registered
282 Posts
and what is with the firmness if you cutting the frame? i think it brokes with the time!
can you tell me how high the spring rate for 1, 2and 3 inch springs is?
can ' someone show me a picture like one ìnch feather/spring out-looked if the car on the road stands? if one only bumpstop cuts is enough the place between A-poor and frame off if bumpstop is strongly pressed? and can that happen easily?

i`m german sorry about my english!

·
2LO4BC
2,859 Posts
is it necessary to strenghten the frame back up after cutting out that 3/4"? i dont have any clearance probs with my 4" front, but im going to 5" in the spring time and i dont want to be bottoming out like mad, and it looks tight under there right now

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no it is not nessary to brace it... actually if you look on air lifts website, this is one of the locations they tell you to cut out when bagging a truck. You are not cutting any major part of the frame, it is only a small part of the lower lip.

and s10 heizer - im sorry but its kinda hard to intereprit what that all means, but as the the spring rates, a 1" spring is almost exactly the same as a factory rate, the 2 and 3" srings are where you start gettting in to the higher rates, and so need a stiffer shock to provide a quality ride.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How long have you been driving around w/ your frame cut like that? Any problems? For some reason that just doesn't seem safe to me. I've got 3" coils on my blazer and it bottoms out all the time, so I'm kinda desperate for a low cost solution.

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
blu_sleeper02 said:
How long have you been driving around w/ your frame cut like that? Any problems? For some reason that just doesn't seem safe to me. I've got 3" coils on my blazer and it bottoms out all the time, so I'm kinda desperate for a low cost solution.

instead of cutting the frame, you can also cut the hump off of the LCA. Then weld in a new piece of steel to make it flat. Here you can see the hump was shaved off the of the LCA in order to lay frame with bags. This will also gain you clearance when running 3" drop coils.

http://img.s10forum.com/album2386/aba.jpg

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
:haha: you will be just fine cutting out a little tiny spot in the frame like that. As for how much i have cutout... im bagged... that should tell ya right there.
Heres a pic of my frame pocket from underneith. The entire opening around the pocket is removed and a good 2" up the outside of the frame rail is cut out to clear the bag.

heres a pic with the frame trimmed and the humps removed from the lower control arms... the top of the ball joint almost reaches level with the top of the frame :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanx for the info guys, brilliant! :tup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used the Belltech suspension lowering kit 2"front 3"rear. I don't bottom out, but my ride is so rough when i go over bumps. I'm still learning about this stuff. Does this thread apply to me as well? Or is there something else I can do to smooth out the ride over bumps?

·
2LO4BC
2,859 Posts
BBKG said:
I used the Belltech suspension lowering kit 2"front 3"rear. I don't bottom out, but my ride is so rough when i go over bumps. I'm still learning about this stuff. Does this thread apply to me as well? Or is there something else I can do to smooth out the ride over bumps?
remove the bumpstops in the rear
with spindles up front, you will not need to do this frame mod above.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lowriderbowtie said:
remove the bumpstops in the rear
with spindles up front, you will not need to do this frame mod above.
Thank-you very much, it wont be as smooth as a bagged suspension but good enough for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
old thread i know but i want a 2" an 3 in the back i have 17s now and they rub when i turn all the way its a daily so i need to be able to turn what should i do?

·
AVTekk is my HERO
1,232 Posts
sizzlin_noma said:
old thread i know but i want a 2" an 3 in the back i have 17s now and they rub when i turn all the way its a daily so i need to be able to turn what should i do?
dont turn as far maybe?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts