S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Xtremely Unique Mod
20,541 Posts
What is Flex Fuel?

A flexible fueled vehicle (FFV) has a single fuel tank, fuel system, and engine. The vehicle is designed to run on unleaded gasoline and an alcohol fuel (usually ethanol) in any mixture. The engine and fuel system in a flex-fuel vehicle must be adapted slightly to run on alcohol fuels because they are corrosive. There must also be a special sensor in the fuel line to analyze the fuel mixture and control the fuel injection and timing to adjust for different fuel compositions.

What Service Engine Soon codes does it throw?

P0178 and P0179 are directly related to the sensor its self

P0178 - Fuel Composition Sensor. Sensor Circuit Low Volts
P0179 - Fuel Composition Sensor. Sensor Circuit High Volts

Can this really effect anything?

Yes, It can cause your truck to run richer then it should.

In my case I was also throwing an HO2 Sensor (P0141), this went away after I replaced the Flex Fuel sensor.

How much does this sensor cost and what is the part number?

There are 2 part numbers (both are the same part):
The first one: 12568450 (older part number)
The second one: 12570260 (most recent)

From a GM dealer this part will run $613
From GMPartsDirect.com it runs $350

dealer will charge around $900-1100 to fix!

PM ME for details on finding the older part number cheaper.

Where is the sensor located and what does it look like?

Passenger side, Front frame rail. Right behind the wheel well.

It has 2 fuel lines comming out of it and 1 power.

Actual pic from engine area:

Stock picture of the part:

What kind of tools are needed to replace this myself?

Size 13mm Socket
Fuel Line disconnects ($5 - $10)

I Circled the correct one to use:

How long does it take and is it easy?

Yes it is easy, and it takes about 2-3 hours depending on how you go about getting to it. Take your time and be careful! (a little bit of gas will come out of those lines)

I pulled off the passenger side wheel and went thru the wheel well with a friend under the truck helping.

I hope I was of some help! PM ME with your questions!

·
Xtremely Unique Mod
20,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
so...... I just changed my engine over. The new engine (2001) USED to be flex fuel. I used the old intake/fuel setup that was with my old engine (1999) After reading the description above... with the sensor that sits inline on the fuel line that reads fuels... can one get better gas mileage than the typical crappy gas mileage that using ethanol usually means with a regular fuel system???

·
Xtremely Unique Mod
20,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so...... I just changed my engine over. The new engine (2001) USED to be flex fuel. I used the old intake/fuel setup that was with my old engine (1999) After reading the description above... with the sensor that sits inline on the fuel line that reads fuels... can one get better gas mileage than the typical crappy gas mileage that using ethanol usually means with a regular fuel system???

The flex fuel means you can use E85 which does not get better gas milage and also removes a few horses. I think that is what you're asking anyway.

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
yeah, sorry just reread my post! LOL yeah that is what I meant. Hmm. Okay, that makes sense.

·
00' S10 Owner
69 Posts
Bringing up an old thread I know, but I have the exact same codes tripping off.

I'd rather not have to buy a $300 sensor. Does anyone think there might be another way around it? I don't much care if I lose the Flex-Fuel feature at all as there are no stations around here anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive been searching for hrs on the net looking for info on this same exact problem, Dose anyone know where i can get this part cheap? thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
Bringing up an old thread I know, but I have the exact same codes tripping off.

I'd rather not have to buy a $300 sensor. Does anyone think there might be another way around it? I don't much care if I lose the Flex-Fuel feature at all as there are no stations around here anyway.
pull out your cluster and pop out the SES light :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
So am I right to say that there is no way to bypass this sensor so I can clear the SES light and get my new truck (2000 GMC Snoma) to pass smog. (Stupid California smog laws!)

·
00' S10 Owner
69 Posts
So am I right to say that there is no way to bypass this sensor so I can clear the SES light and get my new truck (2000 GMC Snoma) to pass smog. (Stupid California smog laws!)
Yea I've been looking for all sorts of stuff as well. I was hoping to bypass or at least fool the computer into thinking it's running alright. :D

I get about 22mpg @ 65-70mph. I run about 80-90% highway miles on it per week and it pisses me off to see V8's getting better mileage than I do!! :rant:

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
i get 25-27

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yea I've been looking for all sorts of stuff as well. I was hoping to bypass or at least fool the computer into thinking it's running alright. :D

I get about 22mpg @ 65-70mph. I run about 80-90% highway miles on it per week and it pisses me off to see V8's getting better mileage than I do!! :rant:
The problem for fuel economy is the weight to HP of these trucks. My truck's curb weight is 3950 lbs. I'm pushing that around with a motor that only puts out 120HP at the flywheel. Do the math and pay at the pump. My friends Nissan extended cab with a V6 gets 28/32 but it only weights 3600.

·
Xtremely Unique Mod
20,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
to be honest, 300$ is not much, just do it yourself. The dealerships want to charge over 1200$ for the repair.

·
Registered
214 Posts
to be honest, 300$ is not much, just do it yourself. The dealerships want to charge over 1200$ for the repair.
It's a little more now. Didn't you get a deal on e-bay for your parts? I think mine cost around $500 or maybe a little more when I replaced it last year (and that was because by daughter was working at a Chevy dealership at the time).

·
Registered
4 Posts
The flex fuel means you can use E85 which does not get better gas milage and also removes a few horses
Wondering where you got your facts on this? From dyno testing...the use of E85 will increase hp instead of removing. E85 octane is rated between 100-105 when gas is between 87-91 or 92 depending on what part of the country your from..

Prostreet68
R&R Racing Enterprises Inc

·
Registered
490 Posts
we have 93 here in MD

and running high octane doesnt mean squat if you dont need it. It slows the burn to prevent detonation, and actually makes less power than 87 if your motor doesnt detonate on 87.

I have never seen back to back E85 vs pump gas dynos, but unless it was a high compression motor, i really doubt it. E85 has a 27% lower energy content than gasoline, and you generally get lower fuel mileage as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
68 Chevelle 350 cid,9.5:1,fuel injected,turbo charged made 93hp more on E85 than it did on pump gas with back to back dyno pulls...

Prostreet68
R&R Racing Enterprises Inc

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.