S-10 Forum banner

How to do a true dual.

7K views 60 replies 22 participants last post by  chaospartners 
#1 ·
I am going to do a true dual setup on my 4.3.

I am going from the headers back. My question is how to do it...

1.Do i run two pipes in and out of a xpipe then into two separate mufflers.
2.Do I run two pipes into two mufflers independently....
3.Do I run a dual in and dual out muffler...

Whats your guys suggestion?

When we did duals on my buddies tahoe we rand two separate pipes into two mufflers, no x pipe.

#2 ·
Two singles are old school duals. They are a good improvement over stock single systems, but not as good as a dual w/ X-pipe. The X-pipe system creates the best of both torque and horsepower. Look under almost all winning NASCAR Sprint Cup Cars and you will see an X-Pipe exhaust system. You just need to use the proper size for your anticipated (be realistic here!) horsepower. For tips on sizing, see here: http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to-calculate-muffler-size-pipe-diameter/

#4 ·
I would go with dials with an x pipe as well. I would put two stainless magnaflow single in single out mufflers on similar to the one I have on now. Our camaro has true duals with an x pipe and 2 single in single out dynomax mufflers.

I wouldn't personally go with those mufflers though becuase the magnaflow are built a lot better, are stainless and are deep but do not have the drone you would get from say a flowmaster muffler on the highway.

#7 ·
Going from a single 1.5" pipe to dual 2" pipes is about 3.5-4 x increase in area. Can your engine support such a large increase in flow, without having exhaust gas velocities drop to much? I have a hard time believing even a mild 4.3L needs that much extra flow.

#8 ·
Kind of a waste if you ask me, the gas tank is in the way so you have to run the left side pipe over to the right side anyways...might as well just make a nice 2.25" y pipe and either a single 3" or split it at the muffler for dual tailpipes.

#11 ·
I am going to run both pipes down the passenger side and have them exit before the right rear tire. I figured it would take the same amount of time to run both pipes and it would be to make the y pipe.

I thought 2" pipe would be the correct size pipe. I plan on supercharging the truck in the spring. hoping to see 300ish hp out of it. Thats about as extreme as I plan on getting.

#12 ·
A dual 2" system would be slightly small for a S/Ced 4.3L. A dual 2" system is good to about 289 hp, assuming all the piping is straight and the muffler is a straight through design. Being S/Ced going slightly larger wouldn't hurt performance nearly as much as a naturally aspirated (N/A) motor. A dual 2 1/4" system is good to 371 hp N/A and the parts are much easier to find. For example, Summit Racing has plenty of parts in 2 1/4" (including a narrow angle X-Pipe: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-643122/ , handy for running duals down one side).

#13 ·
I don't feel 2" exhaust is worth it ever, maybe if you're working on a sub 2.0 liter engine, 2" will sound funny too. If you're going to run the dual pipes you might as well use 2.25" or 2.5", if you are running a muffler and/or a cat also there will be plenty of backpressure, a crossover pipe (I like x pipes) to me is mandatory.

#14 ·
2" true duals on a 4.3 would pop and cackle like hell more than likely.

Although I've considered doing it with a set of Porter or Smithy's steel pack mufflers just to see what it sounded like.

#17 ·
Where should the x pipe be placed? Close to the headers?.

Just ordered a 2.5" x pipe, and two 2.5" flowmaster 44's.
As far forward (close to the headers/collectors) as you reasonably can. (I take it you are doing a V8 swap, using 2.5" pipes?)

StirFrey, while H-pipes do help balance the pressure differential, they aren't as effective at balancing pressure and scavenging the exhaust pulses as an X-pipe.

#20 ·
I don't think this is true, I have a blistering 225hp 5.0 with a x pipe, lots of people use h pipes on the same engine...it mostly comes down to sound preference.

#22 ·
i have a few vids but they are off my droid. used 2.25 pipe with summit street strip mufflers and it dumps out after the axle. dont mind the black paint its off now had a brain fart as to thinking that type of pipe rusted quick and didnt know when i was going to finish.

i have yet to get welding thin stuff but i can lay a nice bead on some 1/8 or thicker. and if you cant tell its all parts house pipe. I still gotta weld in my o2 bung and get a new o2 sensor

#23 ·

#24 ·
Got it all installed. Used 2" from the header, then stepped up to 2.5" as soon as it got under the truck (couldn't make the bends we wanted in 2.5").

It sounds great at idle, and crusing. Its super raspy if I get on it too hard tho. I was told by the company they should "smooth" out after a couple hundred miles of driving.

#27 ·
Kinda contradictory to what the suggested use was for using glasspacks but ya...

Straight pipes sound like garbage 99.99% of the time.

#30 ·
Loud doesnt mean good.

Exhaust needs tone. It needs to have a pitch and a sound for every rpm, a different tone under load.

Not BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.