S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To: Disable DRL's and AHL's

37K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  D'mon 
#1 ·
I'm still working on it, but I wanted tp post this to give me some motivation, and most of the information is here already, I just need some pictures and a few other minor details. Otherwise it's almost complete. If you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to leave them. I plan to make a new thread once all of the information is complete.

Headlight Part #’s.
82-93 Pickup & 83-94 SUV use 7x6 Sealed Beam
94-97 Pickup & 95-97 SUV with 4x6 Sealed Beam
94+ Pickup & 95+ SUV with composites
High Beam: 9005 Low Beam: 9006

Automatic Headlight & Daytime Running Light
Needs pics of all of the locations and fuse boxes.
There are multiple ways you can disable the DRL’s and AHL’s. I am only outlining the most commonly used methods. They are in order of increasing difficulty. This is a thorough tutorial and discusses multiple methods, do only what you are comfortable with and what your skills allow.

Disabling Daytime Running Lights

First Gens ??-94
First generation trucks will be similar to 94-97, just the locations aren’t the same.
Method 1
Remove the DRL fuse located under the steering column in the fuse panel.

94-95
Method 1
Remove Fuse #15 (DRL Fuse 10A).
Method 2
Locate the DRL relay (Convenience Center) in the center of the dash below the radio. You will have to remove the lower kick panel and the knee panel to access it. Remove the relay and cut or bend pins 87 or cut/bend pins 85 or 86. Reinstall relay and reassemble dash.
Locate the DRL relay (Convenience Center) in the glove box behind access panel. Remove the relay and cut or bend pins 87 or cut/bend pins 85 or 86. Reinstall relay and reassemble dash.
Method 3
Remove the driver side Headlight, on the High Beam headlamp, there will be a Dark Blue w/ White stripe wire, Cut this wire and connect the portion from the bulb connector to a good ground. The DRL’s will now be disabled. You can tape up the other end of the wire to keep it from shorting out, or use it to power aftermarket DRL’s or relocated DRL’s. If you chose to power other lights with it, I recommend a relay for anything other than low wattage bulbs (27.5 watts or less).
Remove the driver side Headlight, on the High Beam headlamp, there will be a Dark Blue wire, it does not connect to the low beams ground wire. Cut this wire and connect the portion from the bulb connector to a good ground. The DRL’s will now be disabled. You can tape up the other end of the wire to keep it from shorting out, or use it to power aftermarket DRL’s or relocated DRL’s. If you chose to power other lights with it, I recommend a relay for anything other than low wattage bulbs (27.5 watts or less).

96-97
Method 1
If you do not have Fog lights, you can simply remove Fuse #15, (DRL Fuse 10A).
Method 2
Locate the DRL relay (Convenience Center) in the glove box behind access panel. Remove the relay and cut or bend pins 87 or cut/bend pins 85 or 86. Reinstall relay and reassemble dash.
Method 3
Remove the Driver side Headlight, on the High Beam headlamp, there will be a Dark Blue wire (ground wire on high beam or only ground wire on sealed beam). This wire may be black on 96 models, but further down the wiring changes to Dark Blue. Cut this wire and connect the portion from the bulb connector to a good ground. The DRL’s will now be disabled. You can tape up the other end of the wire to keep it from shorting out, or use it to power aftermarket DRL’s or relocated DRL’s. If you chose to power other lights with it, I recommend a relay for anything other than low wattage bulbs (27.5 watts or less).
Method 4 (Personally Do not prefer)
Disconnect the main ground to avoid shorting out the battery. Remove front dash panel, there are 2 screws located above the gauge cluster. Remove the screw holding the fuse panel in place. Locate fuse #15 on the back side where the wires are, you will notice there are two orange wires on one side of the fuse and 1 orange wire on the other side. You will be focusing on the 2 wires; one if for fog lights and the other is for the DRL’s. Cut one, connect the battery and turn the ignition on. If the DRL’s are not disabled, you are done, but if not, then reconnect the wire and cut the other one. Once finished, reassemble dash and make sure your battery connection is tight.

???
99+
Locate the DRL relay, (fuse box in engine bay.)

Automatic Headlights
Use a 680 Ohm, ½ watt resistor* to bypass the light sensor located on the passenger side dash in the speaker grille. Remove grill, disconnect sensor, insert resistor into plug, tape thoroughly, reinstall grille with connector underneath.
99+
Use a 2.2K Ohm, ½ watt resistor* to bypass the light sensor located on the passenger side dash in the speaker grille. Remove grill, disconnect sensor, insert resistor into plug, tape thoroughly, reinstall grille with connector underneath.

*Resistors can be purchased at Radioshack, costs are about $1 for a 5-pack
680 ohm, ½ watt resistor P/N: 271-1117
2.2K ohm, ½ watt resistor P/N: 271-1121

The information and pictures portrayed in this tutorial are not fully my works, they are the collected works of multiple authors and have only been combined/condensed and information has been added where I see necessary.
Sources of information.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f62/ahl-drl-6211/
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f62/ahl-and-drl-how-tos-34645/
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f62/front-amber-markers-for-daytime-running-lights-467964/

See less See more
#13 ·
not only that will disable the daytime running light ,but will also disable the auto headlight?

I don't like the daytime light either, but the auto lights are a good feature, cuse sometimes I forget to turn the headlights on and on my old dime never worked, idk why but since got the blazer I never touched the switch, but the daytime running light are not needed...

#16 ·
1. Replace the switch with a relay activated by ignition (or trans drive gears, headlights, ect.).

2. Bypass the switch.

3. If deleting AHL you could use the now unused pin off the relay. This would require calculating the loads to make sure the circuit could handle it.

It is generally illegal to drive with fog lights on in the absence of fog.

#18 ·
It's probably the AHLs that are on. Maybe the sensor on the dash is faulty and telling the BCM that it's always dark outside. Do the resistor mod as outlined in the original post and check back. FYI, I have an '02, and the 2.2KOhm resistor is what I needed to disable the AHLs. I used the same value of resistor on my '98 and it worked. You may have to try both- the 680-Ohm and the 2.2KOhm. They're only about $1 for a pack of 5 or so at Radio Shack (last I recall).

Just to be sure- the DRLs are the high beam lights, but with a lower voltage (so they're a beautiful donkey piss color:barf:). AHLs are the low beams at normal voltage. If your low beams are on during the day when the key is on, then you need to disable the AHLs.

#20 ·
I don't know if this helps anyone, but I had the same issue - headlights and running lights coming on regardless of what the lighting is. I took the sensor apart, and under the black translucent dome there was another one of opaque green.... I tested the sensor and got different resistance readings for dark and light so I put the black dome back on and put it back in the truck. The lights stayed off in daylight, and tonight I will see if they come on automatically or not. Don't much care either way as I prefer to manually control the lights but if it works that is ok by me. I may do the resistor mod some day but for now I just want the lights off during the daytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.