S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Modern technology maybe, but modern technology with junk chinese parts......not so much. 950 for a wiring harness ?......I can rebuild my entire engine and transmission for that.... Kinda disappointed all you guys hate old school 350's, surprised actually. To each his own :rolleyes:
No one is hating at all. Just remember you entered a public forum asking "what to build", with that you will get many opinions. Build what you want. Many of us have built many sbc, bbc etc and now on to the newer stuff which is technically old now at 24 years.

·
Been there Done it
11,450 Posts
Actually your basic LS aluminum block is only 30 pounds lighter than a late SBC iron block. The reason in all the additional webbing at the top and bottom of the LS to make it more rigid. The fat boy is the LS iron block that is 70 LBS heavier than the SBC. Granted most LS engines have aluminum heads, but they are available for the SBC both factory and aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
For those that have done some variant of a conversion, what factors lead you to your choice?
2 easy questions. 1. Are you going to drive it? And I mean actually drive it, not 200 miles per year, I mean 15000 miles per year.
I’m torn between doing an LS or a 383 in a 2003 S10 Extreme.
why are you torn? What is your reason for the ls or sbc? Without real information from you, we are all just giving ideas for really our own personal excitement.
I can see pros and cons of each way but ultimately I don’t know what would be a deciding factor.
There aren’t really pros or cons for each, it’s what can you do, what is your budget, what is legal where you are at, are you buying new or used, and what type of timeframe can you have your car dead for while doing the swap?

-------------

Modern technology maybe, but modern technology with junk chinese parts.
Junk Chinese parts? Where? What is junk on them?
950 for a wiring harness ?......I can rebuild my entire engine and transmission for that....
maybe on a 200hp sbc, but anything with any decent power, and no you cant rebuild it for 950.
Kinda disappointed all you guys hate old school 350's, surprised actually. To each his own
Who hates old iron? Ive got 2 383s, 1 489, 1 496… but, I always drive my LS toys first, due to comfort, AC, 20+ MPGs, and overall reliability.

·
Registered
407 Posts
In the end it's going to be your decision based on money spent, what you plan doing with it. Old school vs the new - I think a good LS conversion would be much more appealing and be worth more in the end. Not trying to be argumentative but I can make some good power for $950.00

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,485 Posts
My two cents, everyone is right in their own way- it does depend on a lot of things. How you are going to use it. What your budget is. How much is going to be you doing the work and your own tech level. And on a side note- for overall milage- Mopar 318 beats SBC - got both , most SBC get about to the 500,000 mark and need internal work, currently have a 318 from a '74 Dart with north of 975,000 on it and all its needed is rocker arms and a water pump so far.They didn't nickname it a TIMEX for nothing.But yes, a SBC makes the power(yes the LS and LT make more), but it still boils down to what YOU want.And please , each make/model has it's champions and nay-sayers- your milage may vary as much as New England weather- wait a minute- it Will piss you off or piss on you.:cool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
2 easy questions. 1. Are you going to drive it? And I mean actually drive it, not 200 miles per year, I mean 15000 miles per year.
why are you torn? What is your reason for the ls or sbc? Without real information from you, we are all just giving ideas for really our own personal excitement.

There aren’t really pros or cons for each, it’s what can you do, what is your budget, what is legal where you are at, are you buying new or used, and what type of timeframe can you have your car dead for while doing the swap?

-------------

Junk Chinese parts? Where? What is junk on them?
maybe on a 200hp sbc, but anything with any decent power, and no you cant rebuild it for 950.

Who hates old iron? Ive got 2 383s, 1 489, 1 496… but, I always drive my LS toys first, due to comfort, AC, 20+ MPGs, and overall reliability.
OMG dude you defended junk Chinesium parts....lol. Yikes. May I ask how an LS has more "comfort" than a sbc ? You can't put a/c on a sbc ? Didn't know that. Mpg ? I built a stock 267 sbc that got 22mpg.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
This will never be settled, I am willing to admit the advantages of the new motors, but imo the disadvantages outweigh them main thing being cost. If you are willing to pay 3 times as much for a LS build as a SBC build that is your choice. I say again, I can build a sbc for half the price that will SMOKE your LS. With all the money I saved going sbc I will tub and narrow, 3000rpm stall, traction bars, etc.....

Scenario:
New motor guy vs old motor guy, sbc vs LS..... I give you each 2k, both vehicles exactly the same, only diff is the motor, ignition system, and fuel system. The SBC will SMOKE the LS. How much is it going to cost you to build your LS to beat a 350hp with nitrous, you could put nitrous on your LS, but sadly you spent your 2k on a stock used motor and have no money for upgrades....lol. There is NO doubt that for the same investment a sbc will smoke a LS. If you have tons of cash, sure you can build the LS to beat a sbc..... but for the money you spent on your motor alone I can build a motor, tranny, tub and narrow it, etc.... To each his own.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
This will never be settled,
this is a very true statement, similar to the ford vs dodge vs gm of the 60s

I am willing to admit the advantages of the new motors, but imo the disadvantages outweigh them main thing being cost.
this isn’t true, but, from what I have learned, it is depending on where you live. For example, the parts yards around me, phx az, you can buy a complete, minus ac compressor, LS, any size, for $325, with a warranty.

If you are willing to pay 3 times as much for a LS build as a SBC build that is your choice.
again, this isn’t true, and stock for stock, a LS, of any displacement will have more power at every rpm range, except for maybe an old chevy 302 motor..(but then the new guys will start saying a 302 is a ford, and that’s another rabbit hole to not go down..)

I say again, I can build a sbc for half the price that will SMOKE your LS.
No. we have literally gone 9s with a junk yard 5.3 in a 4th gen camaro. Street car, street legal, driven nearly daily, NA, lots of No2. I have never in my life, seen a built sbc do that on pump gas.

With all the money I saved going sbc I will tub and narrow, 3000rpm stall, traction bars, etc.....
ive answered this one above

Scenario:
I give you each 2k, both vehicles exactly the same, only diff is the motor, ignition system, and fuel system. The SBC will SMOKE the LS.

Since this wasn’t a how big is my ‘snake’ contest, this is the last time I will post on this topic, as it defeats the OPs original questions. Although, it does give the OP plenty of info to think about.

------------

Here is what it boils down to.

Both engine combos are good.

You can put an LS in your truck for the same price as a SBC.
You can run a carb, just like the sbc, and use a spacer on the crank to put in any trans you want.
With the LS route, I would never put anything besides a 4l60/80 behind it, if I was actually driving the truck.
The advantages of nearly 40 plus years of technology advancements should be enough to understand why a newer platform is better than the older iron.
Selling point. Very few people want a sbc when they buy a toy. It’s a fact.
Tuning and drivability. You can tune literally every aspect of an LS platform….and the trans behind it.
I have nearly 500 hp in my daily driver. 22+ MPGs, 3600 stall, ac, cruise, all the creature comforts, and I have no fear driving it cross country. You wont get that type of MPGs in a sbc at those power levels.
Want more power? Add a turbo. You can reliable 600 rear wheel horsepower, and still get 22+ MPGs with ac and perfectly smooth that grandma can drive to the coffee shop. No stock, or mildly built SBC will do that.

Have a great weekend, it’s great to be back on U.S. Soil…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
This will be a driver, maybe not daily, but it will be driven. I’m old enough I like the old school appeal of smbc but my son likes the idea of an LS. I have the skills and the equipment to go either way, but wondered if the choice just comes down to personal preference or if there was something I wasn’t thinking about. Thank you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This will be a driver, maybe not daily, but it will be driven. I’m old enough I like the old school appeal of smbc but my son likes the idea of an LS. I have the skills and the equipment to go either way, but wondered if the choice just comes down to personal preference or if there was something I wasn’t thinking about. Thank you.
Personal preference and WAY more money for the LS...... and WAY more work for the LS..... 350 Chevy !!!!

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
460 Posts
At the end of the day both are solid options and you have to think about your end goals. The 350 can take a lot of power but stock it doesn't have much. The LS right from the start has more power and with stock internals can handle more power compared to an old 350.

I still hold firm that the 350 when comparing stock vs stock is one of the most reliable V8 engines ever made and I personally seen them running longer then LS engines but if it were me personally I am going with a 350.

If it is going to be a daily driver you would want a transmission with overdrive. 700R4/4L60E/4L80E

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
This is turning into a 💩 show, I am 51 years old and I have NEVER in all my years seen or done a cam swap in any SBC and run hi 11s but I have done cam only Ls 5.7 or 6.0 that run that. No stock OLD chevy head can flow anywhere near an Ls head.

Reactions: Jaboc33

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
460 Posts
This is turning into a 💩 show, I am 51 years old and I have NEVER in all my years seen or done a cam swap in any SBC and run hi 11s but I have done cam only Ls 5.7 or 6.0 that run that. No stock OLD chevy head can flow anywhere near an Ls head.
I think this video is fairly accurate.

Preference and goals is key.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,989 Posts
Well…since this thread has derailed into a urinating contest….guess what? If the op wants to start another thread, he’s welcome to. If it goes the same way this one has, it may stand in the corner time.

Closed

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.