S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have done some variant of a conversion, what factors lead you to your choice? I’m torn between doing an LS or a 383 in a 2003 S10 Extreme. I can see pros and cons of each way but ultimately I don’t know what would be a deciding factor. Thank you.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,010 Posts
Kinda depends on your ultimate goal. A 1st gen without a lot of electronics would be easier for a SBC....less stuff to adapt. Takes more to make it go fast, and milage is going to suffer. My 5.3 is hiding more HP and is running rich. It gets about 24mpg on the highway. There may be emission considerations in your state, in which case an engine earlier than your 2003 won't pass. Even if there isn't emissions to worry about, you still need a plan to make the gauges and transmission work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’ve done both and would do an ls again if I had the option. The 350 route is outrageously more affordable, while the ls is vastly more reliable. Plus the emissions testing is another reason for going the ls route. Local laws might prohibit installing a 30 year old engine in your 18 year old truck.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
350 is the most reliable engine ever imho....... New motors with tons of crap to go wrong are more reliable ? Not.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,010 Posts
350 is the most reliable engine ever imho....... New motors with tons of crap to go wrong are more reliable ? Not.
...in your opinion. He lives in a state that requires emission inspection...SBC will not pass.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
...in your opinion. He lives in a state that requires emission inspection...SBC will not pass.
Don't get your point, I understand sbc's won't pass emissions, that has nothing to do with reliability .......He said new sensor sensing the sensor motors were more reliable. That is simply not true. The more parts and systems on a engine, the more chance of failure. Plus all new motors are covered in Chinesium parts made in Communist China, not reliable at all. You can still get alot of sbc parts made in the US.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
466 Posts
I wouldn't say the most reliable engine ever because you got the GM 250 I6, Ford 300 I6, Dodge 225 Slant 6, AMC/Jeep 4.0 I6 very hard to kill those engines they run forever.

But the 350 is among the most reliable V8 engines ever made there is no arguing against that. And I often see them lasting a lot longer compared to the LS engines. There is people running 350's with a million miles in my state and others running well over 350,000 miles some in the 500,000 mile range without a rebuild.

But either way LS engines are solid as well it's not a bad option.

Reactions: Jaboc33

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with oldeerslayer (even though he hasn't posted here yet), an L31 or stroker is the best option. It's so easy to add the needed wiring and everything pretty much bolts up. I look for 4-bangers after '98 for LS swaps and 4.3L's for SBC.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Comparing V8's to inline sixes....lol. Apples and Oranges. 350 best motor ever, talk till your blue in the face won't change my mind and I have built many from the ground up. Built my first 350 in 1978. To each his own.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
466 Posts
Comparing V8's to inline sixes....lol. Apples and Oranges. 350 best motor ever, talk till your blue in the face won't change my mind and I have built many from the ground up. Built my first 350 in 1978. To each his own.
Well you said the 350 is the most reliable engine ever so yea I am comparing the I6's you didn't say most reliable V8 engine ever.

But if you want a V8 comparison. 318 and 351W are on par with the 350 in terms of reliability. Toyota 4.7 is solid as well aside from the stupid timing belt.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,010 Posts
Fortunately I’m in a state(South Carolina) that doesn’t require emissions testing.
Sorry...IP puts you in N Carolina. Fact remains...lots of work to make everything play nice.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,010 Posts
Don't get your point, I understand sbc's won't pass emissions, that has nothing to do with reliability .......He said new sensor sensing the sensor motors were more reliable. That is simply not true. The more parts and systems on a engine, the more chance of failure. Plus all new motors are covered in Chinesium parts made in Communist China, not reliable at all. You can still get alot of sbc parts made in the US.
Well that's just not true for LS engines.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I grew up with the old school Ls6/Ls7 Big Blocks love them to this day but after being around the EFI scene since almost the beginning an old school build is not on any list of mine.
Yeah, it does cost a bit to build a truck like ours and spending 950.00 on a harness that is plug and play and a few other misc. items for efi to function that will pay itself back in time with fuel mileage. Have you ever tried Air conditioning in a carbed motor cammed and stroked, or have a power valve pop on a cruise night? Yeah it sucked !!!!!
Modern technology has way too many advantages to dismiss it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I grew up with the old school Ls6/Ls7 Big Blocks love them to this day but after being around the EFI scene since almost the beginning an old school build is not on any list of mine.
Yeah, it does cost a bit to build a truck like ours and spending 950.00 on a harness that is plug and play and a few other misc. items for efi to function that will pay itself back in time with fuel mileage. Have you ever tried Air conditioning in a carbed motor cammed and stroked, or have a power valve pop on a cruise night? Yeah it sucked !!!!!
Now these are excellent points I had not thought of. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Well you said the 350 is the most reliable engine ever so yea I am comparing the I6's you didn't say most reliable V8 engine ever.

But if you want a V8 comparison. 318 and 351W are on par with the 350 in terms of reliability. Toyota 4.7 is solid as well aside from the stupid timing belt.
Modern technology maybe, but modern technology with junk chinese parts......not so much. 950 for a wiring harness ?......I can rebuild my entire engine and transmission for that.... Kinda disappointed all you guys hate old school 350's, surprised actually. To each his own :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
466 Posts
Modern technology maybe, but modern technology with junk chinese parts......not so much. 950 for a wiring harness ?......I can rebuild my entire engine and transmission for that.... Kinda disappointed all you guys hate old school 350's, surprised actually. To each his own :rolleyes:
I don't hate the old school 350's. I can't speak for them but if I personally was going to swap my S10 to a V8 I am going with a 350 not an LS.

But I am sticking to the 4.3

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,010 Posts
You make it sound like the engines are pretty much built with Chinese parts....prove it. Show us all of the GM parts that come from the factory on LS engines. LS engines make more power out of the box than an old school 350 that struggles to make 200 hp. Not saying they can't make power...just not as easily as an LS. Not to mention the weight penalty and weight on the front end...

·
Hardhead
964 Posts
I know the LS engines make more power but there are reasons for it too. You have to agree, for the average guy, an LS swap is both challenging and expensive. The better versed you are in the mechanics the cheaper it is to do unless you have a network of friends who are savvy with the electronics. The earlier V8 SBC is by far an easier and less costly swap. I think they are ideal for a first time swap.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.