S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Truck #121616
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i figured i should write a tutorial on how to do some of the stuff i do, so i can help you guys out :D

I wanted a Cruise Control Indicator, and GM put one into the cluster, but didnt follow through with making it work... slackers!

Well, I wanted one, and I was determined to make it work for my truck. Now that I have, Im sharing my knowledge and findings with you all.

First off, its a very simple procedure to do, so start by removing the metal back plate from the cluster. Socket size is 7/32". With the backing removed, find the bottom left light socket hole (the one just above the torx screw), and using an Xacto knife, gently cut where i have. What you want to do is cut the copper track at the top to separate it from the other circuits, then cut about 1mm down from your other cut, and peel the copper up so it is its own circuit.

Now with that cut out, find the 'Check Fluids' indicator that GM didnt finish either (its right beside the Cruise light), and cut the tracks just past the solder point, like I have. Now you are almost all done. I scratched up the coating on the copper track (what was left of it) from the Cruise light, and soldered a bridge wire to the Check Fluids light track.

Now you want to solder a little bridge wire from the Cruise Control light side to the Ground pin (pin#24) like I have. Then you can either get a spare plug, and steal wires from it, or do what I did and just used the Seat Belt indicator wire. Using a bobby pin (or whatever you have), feed it into the pin side of the plug (nearest the outside) and wiggle until the wire comes loose. Now simply just plug the wire into slot #29.

Now that you are done the hardest part, all there is left to do is hook up wire #29 to the GREY wire on the Cruise Control Module.

With that done, all it takes to turn your light on is to turn the Cruise Control on! And that's it for this mod!

Sweet!

·
"better days"
155 Posts
thats nuts

·
Truck #121616
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does the BASIC thing apply the the 94 truck cluster?
couldnt tell ya... i dont have a 2nd gen... does the 2nd gen not have a cruise light either??

·
94 s10 in progress
2,492 Posts
the 94 cluster has a whole boat load of un used features

a/c
oil change
air bags (may use this one for when i bag it)
i believe cruise
drl
theres a few more i will have to look on my old cluster and find out

this is also the analog with tach 94 only

·
My mirror hates my sub
9,463 Posts
how about this.. low fuel light on a 97? anyone have any experience trying to get it to work

btw, i know this is a 1st gen forum but im just wondering..

·
Truck #121616
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how about this.. low fuel light on a 97? anyone have any experience trying to get it to work

btw, i know this is a 1st gen forum but im just wondering..
honestly have no idea dude... i'd have to get a 2nd gen cluster and mess with it... never had one before, and not really willing to spend 40 bucks on one just to mess with it... if i had a 2nd gen, i probably would, though.

square body love ftw!

·
Truck #121616
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im really sorry, everyone, for the images being down... im trying to find them again... my website went down, and i had the images all linked to it. same happened to my project threads...

i am looking through 10,000 pictures trying to find the 5 or so that were taken for this how-to haha

·
Truck #121616
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, 2 hours later, and i have located and uploaded the pictures :D

so hopefully a mod can edit the original post and include the new images :cool:
just delete this post when the original post is edited :D

-=TUTORIAL=-

Well, i figured i should write a tutorial on how to do some of the stuff i do, so i can help you guys out :D

I wanted a Cruise Control Indicator, and GM put one into the cluster, but didnt follow through with making it work... slackers!

Well, I wanted one, and I was determined to make it work for my truck. Now that I have, Im sharing my knowledge and findings with you all.

First off, its a very simple procedure to do, so start by removing the metal back plate from the cluster. Socket size is 7/32". With the backing removed, find the bottom left light socket hole (the one just above the torx screw), and using an Xacto knife, gently cut where i have. What you want to do is cut the copper track at the top to separate it from the other circuits, then cut about 1mm down from your other cut, and peel the copper up so it is its own circuit.

Now with that cut out, find the 'Check Fluids' indicator that GM didnt finish either (its right beside the Cruise light), and cut the tracks just past the solder point, like I have. Now you are almost all done. I scratched up the coating on the copper track (what was left of it) from the Cruise light, and soldered a bridge wire to the Check Fluids light track.

Now you want to solder a little bridge wire from the Cruise Control light side to the Ground pin (pin#24) like I have. Then you can either get a spare plug, and steal wires from it, or do what I did and just used the Seat Belt indicator wire. Using a bobby pin (or whatever you have), feed it into the pin side of the plug (nearest the outside) and wiggle until the wire comes loose. Now simply just plug the wire into slot #29.

Now that you are done the hardest part, all there is left to do is hook up wire #29 to the GREY wire on the Cruise Control Module.

With that done, all it takes to turn your light on is to turn the Cruise Control on! And that's it for this mod!

Sweet!

-=/TUTORIAL=-

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have digital cluster, but I didn't find the cruise light. "Check fluids" is there, but no "Cruise". Does the gauge cluster differ between years or what? Mine is 1992 S-10 Blazer Sport.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts