S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I drive a bike-cycle
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to bag my truck and I have a used air tank that I got off a friend, I think it originally came off of a big rig, I can't really tell if it is rusty and dirty inside or not. I can shack it and can't hear any loose rust or anything, so I was wondering if there is something that I can pour in anyway of checking or just making sure it is clean. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
5.7L Vortec V8
1,181 Posts
fastbagged2001 said:
I am getting ready to bag my truck and I have a used air tank that I got off a friend, I think it originally came off of a big rig, I can't really tell if it is rusty and dirty inside or not. I can shack it and can't hear any loose rust or anything, so I was wondering if there is something that I can pour in anyway of checking or just making sure it is clean. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

For your own safety: If you think the tank is rusted don't use it.. lets think about this you are keeping constant pressure in a tank that is slowly dieing. What if you or a friend are near the tank when it gets weak enough to break or worst case explod.. not good. You could hook an air hose to one of the ports or just use a blow gun and see if anything blows out the other holes.. Shine a light in there and just see what it looks like.. Other than that I don't know. Surface rust on the outside of something.. sand it and you should be good but if something is rusty/starting to rot DON'T PUT PRESSURE TO IT

·
I drive a bike-cycle
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well..the outside had no rust at all...I painted the tank as soon as I got it. I will hit it with a blow gun and see if anything comes out, if nothing I guess I will pour hot soapy water in it and then see if any rust comes out from doing that. any other opinions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts