S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Parts Dude
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So if your luck is anything like mine, your A/C clutch goes out at the most inoppurtune time; like Thanksgiving Eve. When the clutch bearing goes out, the belt will no longer turn freely, thus rendering your Dime useless. After searching and finding no A/C bypass information on the forums, I found my own solution. Hopefully this will help some other dime drivers out there.

This was tested on a 2001 Jimmy 4.3L with the stock CS130D alternator. This should work on all 2nd Generation 4.3L motors.

You will need a 6 rib, 84 inch belt, here are some part numbers:

NAPA- NBH 25-060840 or PBH 6K840
Advance Auto- Dayco 5060840
Carquest- K060840 or K8406

This belt is fairly common, appearing on 2005 and up F150s with 4.6l & 5.4l motors; Chargers, 300's & Magnums with the 2.7l V6, and the 2.0l Focus from 05-07.

Step 1: Remove the idler pulley.

Step 2: Route the belt around the crank & water pump normally. The belt will go straight from the power steering pump to the alternator, bypassing the A/C and idler pulley. You WILL need to pull the tensioner back as far as it will go: the belt will stretch a little after a day or two.

Step 3: You're done!

Now, with the stock alternator, do NOT use an 85 inch belt. It slips and doesn't provide enough power to the accessories. I imagine you would need the 85 inch if you have done the AD244 alternator conversion however. I didn't do the conversion until after I fixed the A/C, so I can't verify that it would work. If anyone can verify, shoot me a PM, and I'll update this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have this type of advice on a first gen(89 S-10 blazer 4.3)? I would like to do this mod temporarily til I can fix the a/c clutch. I would guess it may be a size other than 84 in, but would appreciate some input. Thnx

So if your luck is anything like mine, your A/C clutch goes out at the most inoppurtune time; like Thanksgiving Eve. When the clutch bearing goes out, the belt will no longer turn freely, thus rendering your Dime useless. After searching and finding no A/C bypass information on the forums, I found my own solution. Hopefully this will help some other dime drivers out there.

This was tested on a 2001 Jimmy 4.3L with the stock CS130D alternator. This should work on all 2nd Generation 4.3L motors.

This belt is fairly common, appearing on 2005 and up F150s with 4.6l & 5.4l motors; Chargers, 300's & Magnums with the 2.7l V6, and the 2.0l Focus from 05-07.

Step 2: Route the belt around the crank & water pump normally. The belt will go straight from the power steering pump to the alternator, bypassing the A/C and idler pulley. You WILL need to pull the tensioner back as far as it will go: the belt will stretch a little after a day or two.

Now, with the stock alternator, do NOT use an 85 inch belt. It slips and doesn't provide enough power to the accessories. I imagine you would need the 85 inch if you have done the AD244 alternator conversion however. I didn't do the conversion until after I fixed the A/C, so I can't verify that it would work. If anyone can verify, shoot me a PM, and I'll update this.

·
neex
140 Posts
not hijacking the thread just spreading the word.... making sure everyone knew that for around $30 you can get an AC bypass pulley with the stocker belt. I'm running this way till my parts hit. Here's the part#..... Motormite 34152

Great thread and thanks!
A.

·
Parts Dude
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not hijacking the thread just spreading the word.... making sure everyone knew that for around $30 you can get an AC bypass pulley with the stocker belt. I'm running this way till my parts hit. Here's the part#..... Motormite 34152

Great thread and thanks!
A.
That Motormite number fits the First-Gen 4.3L: up to 1995. Dorman number for 2nd-Gens is 34175

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guy's or gal's. I'm a newbie her so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes or doing something wrong. After reading through the posts here I settled on going with the Non a/c belt and additional pulley.

I used the following parts and it is a perfect fit.

K060870 (6k870) belt from O'reilly's
38008 Gates Ribbed Pulley from O'reillys
Bolt and hardware pulled from the normal smooth pulley @ the junk yard.

Bolted new pulley into hole on a/c bracket. Installed belt. Good to go.

·
Parts Dude
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guy's or gal's. I'm a newbie her so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes or doing something wrong. After reading through the posts here I settled on going with the Non a/c belt and additional pulley.

I used the following parts and it is a perfect fit.

K060870 (6k870) belt from O'reilly's
38008 Gates Ribbed Pulley from O'reillys
Bolt and hardware pulled from the normal smooth pulley @ the junk yard.

Bolted new pulley into hole on a/c bracket. Installed belt. Good to go.
Glad to hear you found a solution. Is yours a 1st or 2nd Gen motor?

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
I just went to Advanced/autozone and got the pulley for a non a/c s10 and a belt for a non a/c s-10 when i ditched the compressor on my bd

·
Registered
19 Posts

Just wondering....can you leave the idler pulley on? And if so, what size belt would that require?
Thanks in advance.

·
Parts Dude
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
On 2nd Gen "W" motors, no. If the "w/ AC" idler pulley were left on, the belt would hit the bottom of the A/C clutch pulley. Supposedly if you run the non A/C idler and belt, you could do it, but this might necessitate removal of the compressor. This kludge was designed to operate on an emergency basis with the A/C compressor still mounted. I operated my Jimmy as a daily driver for 2-3 weeks in this configuration with no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not big on bringing up old threads but I, today, installed one of these belts.

Don't let the tensioner get the best of ya, it had to go more than 90 degrees for me before it went on but it fits great!

Thanks OP. ��

·
LeMons Racer
25 Posts
Is this for a 1st gen 4.3L? My vin shows "Z", and my AC is on the top left and Alt is top right.

I tried the shorter (84" belt) as listed in this thread... no luck, it was still too long with the AC out. I just returned that belt and picked up the Dorman pulley liisted here to try that, as Advanced Auto found that it the correct part for our truck. Hoping to try it out shortly as I'm currently no longer near the truck.

·
Parts Dude
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this for a 1st gen 4.3L? My vin shows "Z", and my AC is on the top left and Alt is top right.

I tried the shorter (84" belt) as listed in this thread... no luck, it was still too long with the AC out. I just returned that belt and picked up the Dorman pulley liisted here to try that, as Advanced Auto found that it the correct part for our truck. Hoping to try it out shortly as I'm currently no longer near the truck.
This is for the 2nd Gen 4.3L, W's & X's. If anyone get's proven belt numbers for the 1st Gen's let me know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts