S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
I SHIT BRICKS
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I figured that it was about time to do a How-To installation thread on the AVS bolt on door kit for a 1st gen s10. Remember that this is my first actual How-To thread, so bare with me. If there are any additional questions, please feel free to ask. All comments and questions are greatly appreciated.

The first thing that you will need to do is take off the door panels
The first step in doing so is taking off the window crank (if you have power windows you will obviously not have to do this). They actually make a tool to remove the “C” clips.

You can pick this tool up at any automotive store. If you do not have access to this tool then you will have a little more of an issue. I have done them before with a bent flat head screw driver. I do not recommend this only because it can destroy the clip.
To remove this clip you simply push the tool between the back of the window crank and the front of the door panel. To access this clip the tool needs to be placed with the window crank handle straight up.

After you remove the window crank you will need to move on to the arm rest. There are 2 screws in the arm rest that you simply just unscrew.
After you have those screws out the next step to installing your AVS door kit is to remove the door panel clips.

There are about 8 or 9 clips that look like this.

They are very easy to remove, if you are used to removing them. If you are new to this and haven’t had your door panels off yet, the easiest way that I found to remove the outer clips is with the claw end of a hammer. You will do this just like you are pulling a nail out. After all of these clips are free there is a small piece of plastic that runs up the door pillar (in some trucks there is not this piece).

It is held only by 3 screws. I recommend taking out 2 of the screws and then just taking the plastic piece and slide it so that it is by the window. Take the screws and put them back into the holes in the door so you do not lose them.

Now for the real work, if you notice there are 2 holes that look like a socket will fit threw them on the inside of the actual door. The socket size is 10mm.
This part I will not completely be able to show you how to do, because my handles are already shaved. But I will step you threw it.

If you take the 2 nuts off the door handle from the inside, the handle should be able to slide from the outside. There is still a rod that is connected to them.

There is the little black plastic clip that will hold the handle to the latch, remove this clip from the rod. After you do this the door handle is off.

This step is an option to keep or not. I decided to not keep it. This step is dealing with the outer door lock.

There is a clip on the lock its self it’s very easy to remove.

The way that I did it was simply reach your hand inside with needle nose pliers and pull on the 90 degree lip on this clip. As soon as this is off, then the fun begins

There are a bunch of little clips. (My father calls them Jesus clips….just because if you lose one you will tell yourself Jesus I wish I didn’t lose that clip)

To remove this clip it’s kind of tricky, if you do not go slowly. The simplest way to remove these clips is to put one of your fingers on the clip, and take a flat head screw driver, pry away from the lock on the flat part of the clip, and slide.

GET A BAG OR SOME SORT OF CONTAINER TO PUT THESE CLIPS IN.

Now your truck is ready to be welded shut on the outside ha-ha.

Onto the actual labor now.

There are also Jesus clips holding the rods for the inside door handle and lock to the latch assembly. I found that the easiest way to remove these is to actually unbolt the latch assembly first.

There is your latch assembly. It should be held on by 3 screws witch are a Torx head. 30 to be exact

Unscrew these 3 and set them aside.
The latch itself should just be floating around in your door

There is a Jesus clip for the inside door handle. With the assembly floating freely it will give you easy access to this clip.

Just snap the clip off and remove the rod from the assembly

There is also a clip right above this one for the door lock. Remove that also.

After removing the clip the door latch assembly will just be floating in your door completely. What you need to do next is remove the assembly. Not difficult to do at all.
Line it back up with the hole that is in the door, reach your hand from the inside of the door push the assembly toward the outer door skin.

When the assembly hits the window track, start to turn the assembly so that the latch is facing the outer skin. I guess the easiest way to explain this is if you are sitting forward in your driver seat looking straight ahead you would rotate the assembly clockwise…….if that makes any sense at all. (If not just ask for more clarification please)

Now your assembly is out.

You will need to remove the actual interior door handles as well. This is very easy to do. They are held on by 1 nut. It’s a 7mm. just take that off.
As soon as you have that removed you just simply hit it from the back forward and it will pop off.

Alright, now you have everything taken out.

You will be able to actually see what comes with the AVS kit.

Both actuators

Very nice remotes

And of course a bunch of wiring. The wiring seems like it will be difficult when you first take everything out of the box. Let me tell you right now that it is easier then installing a CD player. Everything is plug and go.
All of the wires are labeled.

Anyways back to the actual install.

The first thing that you will need to do is take off the return spring that is for the outer door handle on the latch.

Now you are officially ready to bolt on your AVS kit.
This is very easy to do. All you need to do is take the part of the kit and place it on the latch and bolt it down

You need to bolt the line to the latch

DO NOT MAKE THIS BOLT TIGHT!!!! THE CABLE STILL NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO PIVOT.

You’re going to take the black screws that are included in the kit

You will also need to take the small bolts. Tighten everything down.

After everything is tightened down, you will notice that the kit includes 4 cables. There are 2 short cables and 2 long cables.

You are going to take the long cables and attach them to the latch. These are also easy to do. It is basically like taking a key and putting it on a key ring.

Now you are going to take the smaller cables and attach them to the interior door handles, they attach the same way as the ones you have just installed onto the latch.

Your full assembly should look like this.

Now you are ready to place everything back into the vehicle

There is only one way that you can put this back in. what you are going to do is place the assembly so that the actual latch assembly is facing the inside of the truck. Take the assembly and slide it around the inside of the door skin. As soon as you hit the window track then you just need to rotate the assembly so that you can bolt it back in

Take your bolts for the latch assembly and tighten them down.

The next thing you are going to do is run wires. I chose to do my wiring on my firewall next to my other relays.

You will have to run the wires that are labeled DRIVER DOOR to the driver door and the PASSENGER DOOR to the passenger side. They only will hook up one way to the kit. After you finish hooking that up, you need to ground the entire system, and run power to, with all the labeled wires. You will also need to hide the wires to make the kit flow with the rest of your vehicle. You also need to hook up the wires from the remote box to the relays. All wires are labeled and very easy to hook up. After all your wiring is hooked up, stand back and press the button on the remote. Everything should be working at this point in time. If everything is working for you then all you need to do is put your door panels back on the truck and then go cruise.

You can also hook this kit up to work with your parking lights. It’s very easy to do. Take the white wires that are coming out of the remote box, and splice them into the BROWN wire that is in the lighting harness. This will make it so when you hit the button to open the door your running lights will flash.

I would like to say thank you to Kris from AVS for dealing with my calls during this install, and also letting me do this How-To thread. I would also like to give props to the old guy who does the packaging for AVS, for packaging the right parts and making me look like a retard. (Kris knows what I am talking about.)

·
I SHIT BRICKS
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes sir thats what i am here for.....if you need any more insite or anything like that make sure u hit me up. the kit is SO easy to do it was maybe an hour of actual work and like 3 hours of takin pics lol

·
Day Dreamin
2,608 Posts
yes sir thats what i am here for.....if you need any more insite or anything like that make sure u hit me up. the kit is SO easy to do it was maybe an hour of actual work and like 3 hours of takin pics lol
How old are your latches? I have some real old ones, they're too stiff and seem like they might not make it open if I use that. Will be buying new ones if it won't work.

·
I SHIT BRICKS
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are very stif if you do them by hand right? mine were. all i did was just clean them with a parts cleaner and then re grease everything. and they are still stiff but not bad and those actuators have a lot of power it has no issues opening mine at all

·
Day Dreamin
2,608 Posts
they are very stif if you do them by hand right? mine were. all i did was just clean them with a parts cleaner and then re grease everything. and they are still stiff but not bad and those actuators have a lot of power it has no issues opening mine at all
What kind of parts cleaner did you use? I want to use those, didn't buy then for nothing. Also I have some lithium grease, that would work after I cleaned them?

·
I SHIT BRICKS
6,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if u dont have access to a parts cleaner, i would get a couple of cans of brake cleaner and just spray the piss out of them i used the lithium automotive grese and it worked great

1 - 20 of 83 Posts