S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hell Bound
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What i'm looking to do is to remove my third door trim panel and make a duplicate of it out of fiberglass, but instead of making the same useless storage pocket in it as the factory panel, i'm gunna mold in an enclosure for a 10" kicker solobaric L5 (S10L5) on the back of the panel. My second question is how should i go about molding the panel? I want it to be strong enough to withstand the thumping of the sub, but since its gunna be attached to the third door i don't want it to be too heavy and start causing problems with the hinges and such. Should i use foam? originally i thought maybe chicken wire would work... Help please?

-Josh

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
to make the duplicate of the trim panel, you can just spray on some pam or somethign of the like, or a layer of wax, and let it glaze up, then just glass over top of it.. fiberglass doesnt liek to stick to plastic, just be careful to not mix it too hot, or it can melt the plastic

as for the enclosure..that gets tricky.. theres no 1 way to do it..

·
Hell Bound
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anyone ever molded a sub into the third door panel? I'm wonderin what the hell i'm gunna mount it to cuz that door seems pretty hollow... Guess i'm just gunna have to open it up and see whats in there...

-Josh

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
i personally don't like the idea of the third door sub enclousure...especially if its a daily driver..the reason being that door seams to rattle more and more as the truck gets older...i'm fibreglassing an enclousure where the jump seat was...and making a panel on the bottom where i'm putting a voltmeter and some other guage i have not figured out yet from dakota digital

·
Hell Bound
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i dunno. the whole reason i'm thinkin about mounting it to the third door is because i'm tired of having a huge box behind my seats and only being able to transport one person at a time, or else i would just mold it into the jump seat panel. I guess i'll just have to tighten everything up on the door and silicone all the bolts in place.

-Josh

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
YOU CANT MAKE A DUP LIKE THAT BECAUSE IT WILL BE BIGGER THAN THE ORIGINAL ONE, THE INNER DIMENSIONS OF THE NEW ONE WILL BE THE OUTER DIMENSIONS OF THE OLD. I WOULD RECOMMEND MAKING A TRUE MOLD OF IT IN LATEX, OR SILICON OR SOME MOLD CAPABLE MATERIAL OR JUST PUT THE FIBERGLASS ON TOP OF THE EXISTING PANEL, AND WHEN YOU ARE DONE CUT THE PLASTIC OFF THE FRONT WHERE YOU ARE PUTTING THE SUB AND LEAVE THE REST OF THE ORIGINAL DOOR FOR BETTER FIT JUST HAVE THE FRONT BE A NEW SHELL

·
Hell Bound
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else have any helpful suggestions?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
there was one guy who fabbed an enclosure into where his jumpseat was. that might be the best route to go.

·
Hell Bound
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After thinkin about it, another option might be to build a flat box against the back wall..... anyone know the mounting depth of an S10L7?

-Josh

·
12,507 Posts
couldnt you do a stealth box design, with downfiring subs? that way, the people in the back would just have to hug their knees when tou're transporting them.

·
Hell Bound
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does a stealth box look like? The way i'm picturing it by your description is its basically a false floor?

-Josh

·
12,507 Posts
yep. false floor, that creates one big flat surface on the top, and follows the floor, and down the small hump to the floor in the front of the cab.

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
JUMP SEAT SUB WOULD BE BEST, ILL POST A DRAWING OF SOME IDEAS I HAD ABOUT THE 3RD DOOR FIBERGLASS

·
12,507 Posts
arent there also different grades of fibreglass?

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
DEPENDING HOW THICK YOU PUT IT ON, IT IS ALWAYS PRETTY LIGHT, BUT THE LAYERS AND QUALITY OF GLASS WILL MAKE IT STRONG ENOUGH TO HOLD A SUB, STUFF IS EXPENSIVE WOULDNT WANT TO STAND ON MY CUSTOM ENCLOSURE.

·
Hell Bound
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Eh, i dunno if i'm still gunna go with the fiberglass. For one thing, i've never glassed before and i'll probly screw it up, and i was also lookin at just gettin a cube enclosure for it. Their pretty small and the passenger could probly step over it or i could lift it out for them to get in and put it back when they're seated. Plus their only like $30 + handling on ebay.... I dunno.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
He's talking about getting a regular cube made out of wood.

Don't be afraid of fiberglass. It's not difficult to work with at all (just takes patients) and is very strong when done correctly. Don't use the crap at Walmart or Kmart for the project though, you'll spend tons buying their little cans of resin and little packages of glass and cloth. There is many places where you can find bulk fiberglass materials, especially if you talk nice to the right people. Stereo shops, marinas, boat repair places, auto body shops, places that repair canoes/kayaks, fiberglass retailers, etc. Even if some places can't sell you the material they can always point you in the direction of someone that can. Almost no one is going to tell you to get it on the internet or through mail-order, the hazardous shipping charges are too much, there's always some place local.

There is many different ways to lay up fiberglass, I'm not even going to begin to explain here because it could take 3 pages, no problem. But if you take your time and do it right fiberglass will be stronger than an MDF box. Using thick mat will yeild the fastest thickness buildup and therefor more strength with less work.

Check out Tempe's sticky up top and dig around in there for a while, there are some good fiberglass boxes to check out.

One more thing, you can make a box for your sub by glassing over the original panel. Who care's if it's a little bigger? Now if you want to exactly reproduce the existing panel you can't do it that way, but for your application I don't see it to be any sort of problem. If you have more specific questions ask away, I can probably help.

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
you coudl alwasy make the mold... which is gonan be like 1/32 of an inch thick

then make a mold off that from the inside...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts