S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
(s)AINT
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Jason,
how stong are your suicide hindges? i got an xcab w/ the 3rd door, and i want to swing the whole thing open. think your hindges will hold up?

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
i dont think the hinges would be the weak point, youd have to build up the cab corner and door structure substaintially to support the weight. ive seen it done but the dude had a kickstand on the door so it didnt sag.. :\

·
(s)AINT
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, heres the plan,

i want reverse the main door's hinges (suicide, but open backwards), bolt the main door to the 3rd door, and retain the 3rd doors latches. so when you open the door, the 3rd door opens normaly, and the main door stays inline with the body.

im gonna draw something up so everyone gets a better idea of this, i figured a fair amount of bracing would have to be done. my main concern was the life of the hinges.

but hey, if Jason says run 3 and it should be cool, then 3 it is damn it!

·
(s)AINT
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
main reason for this idea, i want a suicide drivers door, but i dont want to weld the 3rd door shut, or have one huge door i cant get out of went 'dumb hillbilly with the F350 4 door dullie' parks within 2 inches of me me in a parking lot.

i know its mspaint, but it gets the idea across.........

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
the 3rd doors hinges are too weak, they wont hold the weight of the other door. you idea can be done but it will make getting in and out very cumbersome i think.

·
(s)AINT
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
the 3rd doors hinges are too weak, they wont hold the weight of the other door
gonna use suicide door's hinges all around, 2 for the main door and 3 for the 3rd door.

better brace the hell out of it
anywere that the hinges mount is gonna be beefed up with 1/4" plate and braced were i can (mainly in the cab corner so the steel dont let doors sag) Plus in the 3rd door is all kinds of room i can brace between were the hinges bolt up.

it will make getting in and out very cumbersome i think.
got an idea for using linear actuators and gas struts (like the ones that hold up the rear glass on a blazer) to assist in opening and holding the doors in place

get out on the passenger side..lol, leave the driver side for shows
the passanger side is gonna be suicided too, plus i dont feel like crawling over the center counsle either

Very cool idea. I'm sure it will be a one of a kind. Good luck on pullin it off.
thanks man!

And thanks everyone else for the pointers and thoughts.

hey Jason, hook me up on a deal on 2 sets of passanger and driver suicide door hinges??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts