S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sister's neon is peeling paint, and parents wanna pay me to paint it.
from prep to primer to paint to clear.
how much should i charge per hour?
and when i mean hour, ill be working that hour SOLID.
or should i just say. $____ and get that no matter how long it takes?
parents arent willing to pay aLOT but i gottta get as much as i can outta it.

my painting is obviously not perfect or close to it, but i havent heard much complaints about my painting on my own truck.

·
s-series #2?
24,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude. its my sister.... ifi had my way she would pay me 3/4 of regular shop rate

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
it's family....suck it up and do it for free

hell my family expects me to pay for material also:haha:

·
s-series #2?
24,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dang.. so its just my family that makes me hafta pay my sister if i need to borrow her hair dryer to peel off emblems?
for parents yea but my sister is just 1 yr older than me. and i have yet to get a favor from her. i help with the maintanence work on the neon for free but painting and prepping would be a lot of my free time.... that i could use installing my notch

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
here's a real simple solution:

have them take to a shop and get a real estimate...r&i everything...strip...etc.

get a timeframe on how long it will take also

now that you have a dollar figure and how long it will take maybe your family can grasp the amount of work involved and possibly realize that you should be compensated.

make sure they come watch you sanding the paint off with a DA so they can see how nasty of a job it is.

i do very little for free unless i really like the person and that leaves out most of my family(my sisters and nieces are ****ing wierd to put it nicely)

·
The Schnauzberrys
2,399 Posts
I would say just tell them to take it to a shop and have it done. The reason why is if any thing is ever wrong with it they will expect you to fix it and in the long run you will probably loose money.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
I would say just tell them to take it to a shop and have it done. The reason why is if any thing is ever wrong with it they will expect you to fix it and in the long run you will probably loose money.

that's why you do it so there is no comeback....unless they mess something up and the comeback for another repair...

check this out....my niece wrecked my sister's car....i had just quit that shop a week or two before so instead of having me do it in my buddies garage she goes to the shop i quit

....gave her a hell of a deal and a perfect job very quickly using high dollar shit just so i could start doing the work for sisters and neices....
i reamed her ass and we had one hell of a hail storm a couple days later so i ended up going back to that shop anyway(with a $3 hr raise)

then the pdr gypsies couldn't fix the hood so i used my truck,my gas and went to the boneyard to pull the hood i wanted and i painted that one and put it on

she gave me $50(i saved her over 400) but she still had to pay the shop and the shop had to pay me!

i ended up leaving that shop after a couple years and worked on semis....i got tired of that and scored a job running another shop and being the head painter

well my bro in law wrecked his truck so it was insurance and i was gonna save his deductable for him....we talked about i looked at it and i told him i had a few in front of him so he ended up going to the shop i was just talking about^^^^

and the ****er never told me......i called him a couple weeks later and told himto be ready because i had in scheduled now,,,,,,,,,he tells me he had it done at zimmerman's

i hung up,,,,went to the bar and pissed and moaned to all my friends had to cancel plans that that money was financing.

well.....it's really your choice but i will never do work for family again

·
s-series #2?
24,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea... well my sister got charged $50 to get an estimate on a repair before so i dont think she's good with stuff like that lol.

i built her an entire bedframe for her apartment next year for $70.
$40 for materials and i got $30 to keep.
it wasnt a hard job at all, but i felt it was worth way more than $30..

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
$100?????

do it for free so you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you got screwed!:D

·
s-series #2?
24,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$100?????

do it for free so you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you got screwed!:D
yea...... dad told me he'd look at the result and "think about a tip":rolleyes:
i told my sister the car better be freakin spotless when i start.
btw anyone know how the spoiler comes off a 1st gen neon?(95-99)
i havent looked into it yet but hopefully easy

and as for the stickers that say neon. and plymouth.... sister wants those back on...
ebay?

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
damn maybe it is good my family doesnt take interest in what i do.

i member my grandpa got hit on his door, by a forklift. he got 950 from the insurance company, he gladly paid me 700 bucks. thats how u gotta do it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts