S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 S-10 that quite running. It was running fine as I was driving down the road and it just died, it sounded like those car that keep running when you shut them off. I pulled it home, checked the spark, that was fine. I changed the fuel filter cuz I happened to have one and I noticed real fine glitter in the gas that came out of the line by the filter. I could hear the pump wine but still suspected the fuel pump. I bought a fuel pressure gauge and I have 55 psi at the engine, the manual says I should have 60-66 psi. Is 55 too low for it to run? I have to make sure it's the fuel pump before I change it cuz a new one is $400, and more if I go with a AC Delco. Jake

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
I think it should run with 55LB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I just checked it again, and when you first turn the key on you can hear the pump run, and while the pump is running the pressure is at about 63 psi, when the pump shuts off it drops to about 55 psi. So, I think the pump is good. If I got spark and fuel what else do I need? I have pressure to the engine but something must not be telling the injectors to open. It don't help I have to work on it out side and it's only 10 above. Jake

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Are you throwing any codes?

If you don't have a reader, any AutoZone parts store will scan it for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
95 and newer run between 60 and 66 psi. older than 95 I think is 40-45psi....

Check you oil pressure sending unit - there is a relay attached to it that tells the comp to turn the fuel pump back on (after the initial 2 sec. prime) once oil pressure is established.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Ya need air... timing OK? Timing chain?

When you crank it for a while and pull the easiest plug.. ( I know not easy...) is it gassy?

When cranking..does anyone know if with a gauge hooked up, could you see the pressure drop as you crank but rise as you stop cranking? That would say you are putting fuel in...??

How'd ya check for spark??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Maybe timing chain. There is a way to check to see if you jumped time. I'll try to see if I can find out.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ok pull cap.
Turn crank pulley clockwise mark pulley and motor with something.
Turn counter clockwise untill rotor just starts to move make another mark.
If loose chain you will have 10-15 degrees travel before rotor moves.
If good and tight about 3-5 degrees.
Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts