S-10 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
I would fix your oil lines ASAP.

If they blow, your engine will be fried in little over a mile.

BlazerLT said:
I would fix your oil lines ASAP.

If they blow, your engine will be fried in little over a mile.
Wahoo!!! lets blow my motor up. j/k I already know thats why they are sitting right beside me.

Awesome! I have heard so many people blowing their motor due to those lines blowing.

Just looking out for you. ;)

BlazerLT said:
Awesome! I have heard so many people blowing their motor due to those lines blowing.

Just looking out for you. ;)
Yea I would rather spend 80 bucks now then have to buy a brand new motor later.

yep, THAT happened to me. goddamn Chevy and their cheap crimps...my CPI blew up, my TBI drove for 2 miles w/o oil and after blowing the lines (i was 15, and didnt know shit about engines). the CPI wound up spinning a main bearing, and shooting a rod thru the engine and out of the oil pan. looked like someone set off a grenade in the crankcase.

a 4.3 holds 4.3 liters of oil. a 2.8 will take 2.8 liters of oil. so on and so forth. i think the weight really depends on where you live. i live in alaska so a lower weight oil for here wouldnt do us no good in the winter so if you live in an area where it gets cold you could use 10w30 in the winter and then when spring hits use the 5w30. a higher weight oil will have a higher viscosity or thickness so it will freeze at a lower temp than a 5w30. and if your oil freezes there will be alot of friction in your engine until that oil thaws out.

*cough* tru i seriously hope you are joking. from the other posts youve mad, this one HAS to be a joke. the number is the cubic inhe displacement of an engine, not its oil capacity...

About the only time you don't wanna use synthetic or high quality oil is after a fresh rebuild.They have so many detergents in them they can wash the assembly lube off.It doesnt take very long at all for initial break in after a rebuild either.After that changing to syn or detergent oil is fine.As for putting synthetic in a brand new factory engine you don't have alot to worry about at all.After probably the first 500 miles you could change over with nothing to worry about at all.You can put 5 quarts in if you use the full quart filter instead of the half.Thats why they only hold about 4 and a half.The weight of the oil can depend in the climate,temps,and if it is n/a or say a turbo like a diesel.5w30 will not gel up in freezing temps as 10w30.The 30 part is a rating at what temp it will start breaking down.Synthetics are better for turboed engines because of its high viscosity rating under extreme load and temperatures.

Just info for everybody wheather u know it or not but this is common mistake. The W in 10w30 doesn't mean weight like lots of people think but actually means winter. If u already knew it good for u and if didn't well now u know.

TruStinger said:
a 4.3 holds 4.3 liters of oil. a 2.8 will take 2.8 liters of oil. so on and so forth. i think the weight really depends on where you live. i live in alaska so a lower weight oil for here wouldnt do us no good in the winter so if you live in an area where it gets cold you could use 10w30 in the winter and then when spring hits use the 5w30. a higher weight oil will have a higher viscosity or thickness so it will freeze at a lower temp than a 5w30. and if your oil freezes there will be alot of friction in your engine until that oil thaws out.
O my god please tell me u are joking. And if u are next time put a j/k at the end. Some people will think this is true and do what u said. Hopefully u were joking. Right???

This should help.

The more noticeable designation is the oil weight. This is either a single number (e.g., 30 weight) or a pair of numbers separated by the letter W (e.g., 10W30.) The latter type is much more commonly used these days, and are the only type that most automobile manufacturers specify in operators manuals. The first number in the designation (10W) is the apparent viscosity of the oil when it is cold; the W stands for `winter'. The second number (30) is the viscosity of the oil when hot. There is a trick here; the oil doesn't actually get thicker (turn from 10 weight to 30 weight) as it gets hotter. What is actually happening is that when the oil is cold, it has the viscosity of a cold 10 weight oil. as it gets hotter, it doesn't get thin as fast as a 10W oil would; by the time it is up to temperature, it has the viscosity of a hot 30 weight oil.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.