S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. im not exactly sure if this is the right forum for this question but i figured id start here and see where it went...i have a 95 s10 2.2L 5 speed extended cab...i was wondering how much weight i could pull behind me, trailor wise...i was lookin at a little 17' boat and trailor and wanted to know if i could pull it or not...the boat weighs 1500 lbs the trailer im not sure how much it weighs but im guessing it cant weight no more then 300 lbs, so basically around 1800 lbs...now i have pulled my brother 89 honda crx with my truck with chains (not on trailer) and had no problem doin it , i was even stoped on a upwards hill and had no problems gettin goin.... so i was just curious, thanks in advance!

·
Ross Racing Engines
1,385 Posts
Shouldn't have any problem pulling it. May see a lot of 4th gear time depending on the grade, but that won't hurt anything but gas mileage.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow,now thats what i wanted to hear,lol...i had a feeling i was gonna get a negative response...anybody else wanna throw in some input or stories?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats what i like to hear...but what if im wrong about the weight of the trailer, what if it weighs like a 1000 lbs for a total of 2500 lbs...would i still be ok? ill only be pulling it for about a hour, mainly highway

·
tuckin' fx4
3,888 Posts
well you still have to factor in the boat ramp if its too steep and slick that 2.2 will have a hard time pulling it out, i would be too scared to pull a jet ski out with mine

·
Ross Racing Engines
1,385 Posts
I hauled a 20ft. home built trailer made with a trailer-house tongue. On that trailer was a small Massey-Fergusson tractor and 6' brushhog. Never got out of 4th or any faster than 50 MPH, but I was also pulling about 8000 lbs or so.

·
Campin In Style
799 Posts
i pulled a utility trailer with half a yard of wet gravel in the back today.

rexius.com says thats about 1300lbs + trailer weight. i pulled it absolutely no problem. i actually felt like the truck could handle double what i had without causing me to impede traffic.

i truly dont understand these 2.2's. They are god awful slow, but they can pull almost anything you give them.

edit: Oh i should also note. Last year i had 1700lbs of gravel in the bed of the truck. The truck pulled it with ease but it felt like it was trying to lift the front end off the ground. I wouldnt suggest putting that much in the bed if you are going far distances.

i dont think you will have any problems with the boat.

·
95 S-10 2200
510 Posts
I pulled an OLD 17' fiberglass boat last summer and i had to keep it in 4th to make 65mph. The boat ramp was really nice so I didn't have any problems with putting it in or out but I may have burned the clutch just a little bit. Man with a 5 spd doing that crap you need three legs! If I were doing it all the time I would get one of those brake buttons and mount it right in my shifter ball!

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
Regular Cab:
If your using a 2.2L with a manual and 3.73 gears, your looking at: 1,600 lbs as your max safely.
If your using a 2.2L with an automatic and 4.10 gears, your looking at: 3,100 lbs as your max safely.

Extended Cab:
If your using a 2.2L with a manual and 4.10 gears, your looking at: 2,000 lbs as your max safely.
If your using a 2.2L with an automatic and 4.10 gears, your looking at: 3,000 lbs as your max safely.

That was quoted from the manual. I wouldn't suggest a 2.2L manual on a boat ramp; but it has been done. If you have an automatic you might want to look into a transmission cooler, and if your using a manual then you'll want to stay out of 5th gear (over drive).

Also, keep an eye on the engine temp and make sure your tires are rated properly for the weight. There are a lot of low profile tires that aren't to be used with towing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I pull a 16 foot aluminum fishing boat and trailer with no problem at all. I have no idea what that combo weighs. I also pull a 4x8 trailer with my 4 wheeler and ice fishing gear and would estimate that with everything it is about 1700 pounds. With that load I have to down shift into fourth gear on hills but can pull fifth gear on the flats. I personally think you can cause alot of engine wear by lugging a heavy load. Better to down shift. Back when I was young and dumb I worked on the pit crew of a local dirt track racer. This guy had been racing for years and whenever we were changing gears in the rear end he would say not to go too low as "you can pull the guts out of any motor made". My truck has over 200K on the original bottom end. The only thing that is a problem with pulling the fishing boat is the boat ramp. My one wheel wonder has lost traction and left me stuck several times. A locking dif would sure be nice.

·
Not low, not going to be
346 Posts
wayfastwhitey said:
I hauled a 20ft. home built trailer made with a trailer-house tongue. On that trailer was a small Massey-Fergusson tractor and 6' brushhog. Never got out of 4th or any faster than 50 MPH, but I was also pulling about 8000 lbs or so.
Just a few questions for ya...

What kind of hitch did you use? The heaviest rated I've been able to find is a Putnam class III rated at 5000/7000 weight distributing.

Any overheating problems at all?

How well did it stop that much weight? Did it have trailer brakes?

I'm trying to decide whether or not my little S10 (5 speed, 3.73) would be able to handle pulling a car (on a dual axle 18' flatbed) across several states, most likely through the mountains. Car will most likely have no engine/trans, so conservatively I'd put it at 3500 lbs altogether.

Any opinions?

·
s10 addict
513 Posts
pulled a 25ft car trailer with my '94 s10 on it, did it with the bumperball on my '98..........didnt really have any problems, i was running 70 without trying, got into stop and go and was still fine, i think i actually started in 2nd a few time on accident, you should have no problems with you boat/trailer...............

·
Not low, not going to be
346 Posts
Anyone who doesn't also claim to run 16's in a stock 2.2?

·
Registered
69 Posts
zibzer said:
one question for me. i cant find my manual. how much can the bumper hold? i know its 200lb tounge weight. But what is the trailer weight? thanks!
The older style bumper with the plastic skirts on the sides are rated for 200 hitch weight and 2000 trailer weight. The newer style (early 2000's?) is rated for 350 hitch weight and 3500 trailer weight. I was going to put a receiver hitch on my 2003 until I found out the bumper had plenty of capacity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts