S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With and without intercooling, how much boost can the 4.3 handle?

Is it possible to add the supercharger without tearing apart the engine?

I heard that the 4.3 can handle up to 350 hp without internal modifications. Is this true?

·
Registered
940 Posts
350 h.p. sounds like you will be close to the limits of a stock internal motor. can it be done i m sure it can will it last long i don t know, i know alot of guys are running intercooled prochargers up to 12 lbs intercooled my advice if you want to run it that high you better have you truck tunned or it won t last long, non intercooled i would say stay under 10 lbs of boost and that might even be a little high. but whatever you do please get it tunned if you plan on adding forced induction. if not i m almost 100 % positive you are going to have trouble latter on down the road. and yes you can put a supercharger or nitrous or turbo on a stock motor, just do a little reseach and see what alot of the guys here are running. or if you have any question just ask i m sure alot of guy here will help you as much as they can.

·
Got spray? Got boost? (y)
3,084 Posts
Yes 350hp is attainible with a stock motor with stock internals. If it is running correctly and somewhat fresh. Adding 12psi of boost is not gonna make exsisting probs. any better. Call Mach Performance they have what you are looking for to make the kind of hp you want. With just 10psi from a p1sc and 3-core air to air intercooler you should have almost 350 at the flywheel. At the rears it will be like 280+ with a good exuast and y-pipe. Also a set of headers willl help. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
262 Posts

While on the topic of power handling. Supercharged and intercooled with 10 psi running on stock internals, headers, better exhaust, will the engine last? How long do you think it will last? This isn't just going to blow up on me after like 50,000 miles is it?

·
Registered
609 Posts
JUST DO IT! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hellbent, My engine is a '92 4.3 CPI with about 32,000 miles on it.
Is this fresh enough to run about 9 or 10 pounds of boost?

·
Registered
262 Posts

JUST DO IT!
Right and then after 30,000 miles boom. If that ever happened I'd be pissed. So really, how long do you think it will last with 10 psi on stock internal parts? Will it last as long as normal, 100,000, maybe 200,000. Or will it last a little less then that, 80-90,000. Or will it just fry at a short period of time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my '92 motor IS the CPI. It already had 25,00 on it when I got it.
I've put another 5,000-7,000 miles on it in the last year.

This sucks. Nothing for OBD I.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Theres no true way to say if a engine will last or not If anything. If you run your engine hard no matter what its not gonna last as long. I have about 75000 on my engine and it doesnt leak a bit of oil and idles a hell of alot better then a stock 4.3l s10. Thats not due to the supercharger though. I see alot of people asking ? about s/c on this site now. From experince i would say if your scared at the added problems or could be problems and setting one up i would say not to get one. Its not just a bolt on part and go. It takes time to straiten out the issues like running diffrent spark plugs, getting the computer reporogrammed, and intercooling and getting things just right. If you have constant pre-detonation ya your gonna mess the engine up good, but if you work out your stuff ask people who have had them for awhile you should have no trouble in running one compared to a n/a. And like any engine if it isnt running correctly its not gonna last as long. And if you do get a s/c run high octane dont get cheap and run low octane and also run sythetic oil.
Mike

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would have to say i put it it on around 50,000miles. Like i said though if you think its gonna mess somthing up dontr\ do it. Also if you really thinken your gonna hurt your engine and still want one just run a bit less boost and then you will know your safe. You know running 8 psi is not so bad, you dont have to go all out and run the max of the stock engine. Also i would recomend a supercharger be a mod you do after your all done with your intake and exhuast mods. Put some headers on and a custom 2.5" or 3" exhuast, new ypipe, and for the intake a cone style intake somwhere where you can get cold air. Then i would go with a supercharger. All that other stuff is really gonna multiply the effects of a supercharger. Add a s/c to a truck with lots of intake and exhaust restriction isnt not gonna lead you to the HP gains your gonna be happy with. If you got any further ? just ask im happy to answer.
Mike

·
Registered
262 Posts

Oh I'm planning on making sure I do everything correct before even buying the supercharger. As for exhaust I got that settled, all I need to buy is headers and my exhaust will be completed. Which in fact I'm ordering soon.
I'm not afraid of putting a supercharger on, but I just don't want it to ruin my engine after racing it a few times. I want to take it to Old Dominion and MIR sometimes and see what times I can pull off, but I'm not going to go all out drag racing with it either.

I have one more question. On stock motor MachPerformance said it will put 290-300 rwhp with 10 psi. The compression ratio for the stock motor is 9.4 right? What if later on down the road if I decide to change those pistons to a lower compression like 8.5, 9.0, thats going to drop the power the supercharger makes right?

With a low compression piston that is a little safer on the engine isn't it? But I don't really want to go past 10 psi anyways. So is there any point to changing the piston or no?

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you run a lower compression piston then you can run more boost. Im not sure how much power you will lose if you run a low amount of boost with lower compression pistons. The only reason to go to diffrent pistons would be to go with diffrent connecting rods also so everything is stronger and then add some more boost. One thing your gonna have to look for the is the redline of the supercharger. Even though a s/c may say it can make 20psi or so you have to figure out the redline of the bearings in it. Vortech has on there site the specifics on each S/C they sell and also a calculater to figure out redline.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts