S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this and I'm not sure (this is more for a future ref. for when I upgrade my subs, as of now I'm close to 300w, but would like to shoot for at the least 500w for the upgrade). I get some buzzing on the back of the cab outside which I don't like, it makes me feel ghetto and I'm not happy bumping even though I don't hear it inside.

At how many watts should you consider to start putting in sound deadener into the vehicle? How much is needed? would it only be around the sub area or would it be more efficient to place it around the doors as well? thank you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should I start off with just around the sub area and then work my way up? I'm not really going to go crazy with it, mainly just want a little more bass (500w maybe 800w will be good enough for me).

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
wattage plays no part in when to apply sound deadener.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is where I am assuming most of the rattling is coming from (I know it's at the back of the cab for sure but just kind of guessed the area, highlighted)

I was doing a search on some deadener, how thick would I need it?

·
My mirror hates my sub
9,463 Posts
ya back of cab will do that with low power/ shitty systems. mine is deadened and doesn't make a buzzing sound, more of a lower vibration sound. but anymore it just sounds like sheetmetal caught in a strong wind

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so just around that area or more? I am going to hopefully get something better later down the road but not sure when really (whenever I plan anything it turns to shit and I end up not doing it).

·
My mirror hates my sub
9,463 Posts
this was a temp setup many years ago for a short time but i did all across that piece and a layer where the carpet is

·
Zr2USA = B_Rich
2,657 Posts
If you have 2 plastic panels ratteling together..... sound deadener isn't going to do much, if anything at all. Sure, sound deadener will reduce vibration of a panel, but that doesn't mean that you're going to magically get rid of all of the rattles in your interior (like the manufactures play it out to be). Pinpoint the rattles, and work on fixing them on the cheap. Stick a piece of foam or weatherstripping between the panel and the metal or something. Sound deadener isn't the answer to all your problems.

·
Budget Ballin FTS!
3,652 Posts
I was thinking about this and I'm not sure (this is more for a future ref. for when I upgrade my subs, as of now I'm close to 300w, but would like to shoot for at the least 500w for the upgrade). I get some buzzing on the back of the cab outside which I don't like, it makes me feel ghetto and I'm not happy bumping even though I don't hear it inside.

At how many watts should you consider to start putting in sound deadener into the vehicle? How much is needed? would it only be around the sub area or would it be more efficient to place it around the doors as well? thank you.
Apparently you need it now. I know how you feel tho man. I have been trying to kill all the rattles in my 1st gen blazer. With 2500watts and 2 MTX 12's I find a new rattle everytime I turn the radio on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
this was a temp setup many years ago for a short time but i did all across that piece and a layer where the carpet is
nice, I may just do that, it sounds like the rattling is somewhere under the back window or a little bit lower but mainly where the slot port is.

If you have 2 plastic panels ratteling together..... sound deadener isn't going to do much, if anything at all. Sure, sound deadener will reduce vibration of a panel, but that doesn't mean that you're going to magically get rid of all of the rattles in your interior (like the manufactures play it out to be). Pinpoint the rattles, and work on fixing them on the cheap. Stick a piece of foam or weatherstripping between the panel and the metal or something. Sound deadener isn't the answer to all your problems.
I can't really tell if it's the plastic, I know from the outside you can hear it and it sounds like garbage imo. Like I just obviously said "here goes a sub and box, here's my amp and yeah I got a system." I don't like that. I don't want to feel like I just slapped it all together as if I didn't care. I really do, which is why it's bothering me so much, hell I haven't turned on the radio since I made this thread. :(

Apparently you need it now. I know how you feel tho man. I have been trying to kill all the rattles in my 1st gen blazer. With 2500watts and 2 MTX 12's I find a new rattle everytime I turn the radio on.
LMAO, man you wouldn't believe how I got when my rear window was rattling, I didn't even have a system at that point. It was just from the road, I did a quick oober ghetto fix though (cut a little .25" dot air line that was left over and jabbed it into the metal locking thing that hits the striker bar), works and to this day has yet to rattle once. I wish I had some black DOT line though, this is the red one that Firestone has with their leveling kits.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just went into the truck to find out where exactly the weird buzzing/rattling was, it's in the middle where my sliding window is. I think I hear the plastic rattling too inside but I'm not quite sure. I am going to see if adding foam behind the panel will help fix the problem, if not I am going to add in deadener under the rear sliding window area and see if that helps. Thanks guys, guess this is one of those things where I need to tweak it out here and there and see what works.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
also where would you get the foam from? I see some foam'ish looking stuff in Speedy's install but I am not sure if that is his OE stuff or aftermarket foam.

·
My mirror hates my sub
9,463 Posts
foam? that's the factory carpet on the back wall. I have the back wall done, bottom below the false floor up to seats, doors, and the headliner is 2 layers. it is super quiet on the inside and definitely has cut down on the rattles. I get ALOT of compliments on how quiet my truck is on the inside.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
foam? that's the factory carpet on the back wall. I have the back wall done, bottom below the false floor up to seats, doors, and the headliner is 2 layers. it is super quiet on the inside and definitely has cut down on the rattles. I get ALOT of compliments on how quiet my truck is on the inside.
damn how thick is your deadener that you used? I have seen as low as 1/8". I don't want to go overboard and not even need that thick or lay down 2 layers when I only needed one.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my upgrade will be around 500w for my sub for sure. I'm not going to sacrifice the other right rear pass seat (I usually need it for things here and there).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts