S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99' ext. cab with 127,000 miles on her. It's got a 2.2L with the 5 speed. It's been getting tougher to shift gears, espically while stopped. It also grinds slightly when shifting (espically from 2nd to 3rd). I have a new clutch for her as the original one is still in there (and is worn out). I don't want to replace the clutch just to have the tranny take a crap on me a few miles later. I plan on selling the truck before it hits 150,000 miles so what do you all think? I have never changed the tranny fluid in her since I got her at 100,000 miles. Do you think that will help any? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
id think clutch is going south possibly the throwout bearing and fluid change wouldnt hurt

·
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a complete Centerforce clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing) that I am putting in. When I do the clutch I have to change the fluid anyway so that will take care of that. I'm just curious if I should be looking for a new tranny. I know they aren't that pricey and are readily available.

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
Ya trannys last along time mine has 256,000 on it and has never been opened much less rebuilt sounds like the clutch and/or the through out bearing so just put your new parts in and you should be good :thumbup:

·
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dropped94 said:
Ya trannys last along time mine has 256,000 on it and has never been opened much less rebuilt sounds like the clutch and/or the through out bearing so just put your new parts in and you should be good :thumbup:
Alright, cool. I drive this truck like a grandpa and so did the guy before me so all should be good then. Thanks. It's New Year's Eve, time to go out and :drunk:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to replace the trans fluid when you do the clutch. This uses a special friction modified synthetic fluid and the stuff may be losing it's punch. Expensive stuff though. Be sure to check owner's manual for correct fluid part number as the dealer will get the normal syncromesh fluid and that doesn't work right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts