S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
about how many hours should take to rebuild a 4.3 engine?
This question makes zero sense.
What are you asking? How long it takes to bolt on the already machined parts to a freshly machined engine block?
It takes a week or two at the machine shop to get the machine work done, and then a weekend cleaning and assembling the new parts.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Many moons ago I worked at (TRE)Texas Racing Engines we built engines on the daily and I can tell you it is about a 2 week process from receiving, staging, cleaning, checking clearances, possible boring, honing, inspect heads, 3 angle valve job. Then all parts are cleaned again and staged. Now we are just about ready for the building process. Total start to finish is usually 2 days so total 3 -4 weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many moons ago I worked at (TRE)Texas Racing Engines we built engines on the daily and I can tell you it is about a 2 week process from receiving, staging, cleaning, checking clearances, possible boring, honing, inspect heads, 3 angle valve job. Then all parts are cleaned again and staged. Now we are just about ready for the building process. Total start to finish is usually 2 days so total 3 -4 weeks.
Thank you and i mean is to complety tear the engine down and rebuild it with a kit.

·
Registered
535 Posts
There are a few things you can't know until it's torn down and at the machine shop. Will it hone at standard or does it need to be bored? Have to know before you can order pistons. Are you going to have it decked? Align honed? New pistons will usually require a rebalance. Actual assembly? About a day including assembly of the heads, putting pistons on rods, etc. A good builder can cut this by a bit but it takes time to pay attention to the details.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a few things you can't know until it's torn down and at the machine shop. Will it hone at standard or does it need to be bored? Have to know before you can order pistons. Are you going to have it decked? Align honed? New pistons will usually require a rebalance. Actual assembly? About a day including assembly of the heads, putting pistons on rods, etc. A good builder can cut this by a bit but it takes time to pay attention to the details.
Thank You for this infomation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Watched a guy rebuild his 396 on his tailgate. Took him about 3 hours. Ran about 20 minutes before letting go. Never ever rush a rebuild. It's not about how long it takes. It's about how well you do it. And a clean work surface.

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
339 Posts
Watched a guy rebuild his 396 on his tailgate. Took him about 3 hours. Ran about 20 minutes before letting go. Never ever rush a rebuild. It's not about how long it takes. It's about how well you do it. And a clean work surface.
And that old saying of ... Quality can't be rushed ..... comes to mind - and it applies to lots of things besides rebuilds. Planning, procedure, precision, and patience are some of the attributes needed.

·
Been there Done it
12,486 Posts
Rebuilding an engine isn't for the inexperienced unless you have a experienced pro to look over your shoulder and guide you thru the first few times. Same hold true for rebuilding transmissions. Just too many minor details you need to know to get everything right. If you succeed, congratulations. If you miss something there might not be anything left to start over with.
I remember an edition of Roadkill where they got a super deal on an engine rebuilt in the local high school auto shop under the supervision of the shops teacher. If I remember correctly it seized up on start up with no oil pressure. Something was overlooked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rebuilding an engine isn't for the inexperienced unless you have a experienced pro to look over your shoulder and guide you thru the first few times. Same hold true for rebuilding transmissions. Just too many minor details you need to know to get everything right. If you succeed, congratulations. If you miss something there might not be anything left to start over with.
I remember an edition of Roadkill where they got a super deal on an engine rebuilt in the local high school auto shop under the supervision of the shops teacher. If I remember correctly it seized up on start up with no oil pressure. Something was overlooked.
Thank you for this information. I have rebuilt tractor engines gas and diesels of diffents sizes jut not a v style engine but i have helpd with some.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts