S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Christian Canuck
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m thinking of buying my bro's s10. cuz he wants to sell it and lease a 2005 colorado
its an '88 looks good he wants 2500 for it but its got 330000km's on it. THe avg km's per year is 18000-20000 so according to that its avg. but Wha ti need to know is how long do S10's usually last. like do they have an avg life of o like 4 or 5 or is this thing gonna start to crap out on me like soon. Need to know soon. Thx. Any knowledge would rock.

·
Old School Member
12,166 Posts
well with any vehicle, just depends on how well it's been maintained and taken care of, i'm guessing with that mileage your brother has done something right and took care of it

but for the record, i don't think i know anybody with an s-series that's had trouble with it, and my dad's is getting old with a lot of miles and mine still runs great as well

my friend's dad has an 86 with a 2.5 and it's still on the road, but i'm not sure of the mileage, it's still a good running truck though

·
Christian Canuck
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He says it still runs perfect. So if he's taken good care of it and if i take good care of it then i could get it to last say how much longer? nother 100 000? 2?

·
SOLD
7,551 Posts
sounds like your looking for some sort of gurantee....lol

im just going to say this, any dime ive seen usually needs a refresh around 200k miles, you can "get away" with rings but the motor should really be gone through, but this is just an average from what ive seen with well maintained dimes. towing, lack of maitenance, racing or heavy accelerating all the time all causes more wear on a motor then normal driving conditions. if you buy something with a lot of miles, PLAN on fixing stuff, if it doesnt break be happy and keep that money in the bank for a rainy day.

·
Christian Canuck
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yah i guess i am looking for a garuntee. Shit i duno i hate looking for vehicles

·
Registered
256 Posts
All of them guys up above are right about how will dime usually last... there are so many different ways to break it... all vechile are the same.... WRONG! BUT BUT!!! MOST vechile that have COMMON parts usually last long usually between 200k to 250k before it needs to be refreshed some cars will last up to 150k some will up to 300k just depending on the parts u have inside the motor such as BMW have a better bearing better rod better piston better valve train than ford chevy dodge does... how about transmission even u take good care of transmission and still will fail.. such as dodge as a common problem due to the kind of clutch inside they use.. ford and chevy have better clutch brand in it... u see what i am trying to say but yes S10 do usually run long until between usually 180k to 280k is a very usually for all chevrolet.. rare to hit 300k or more... ok which car will have bad engine fast? geo will.. 3 cylinder will fail usually at 150k or less... i have a friend that had geo and even failed at 99k and other friend same year same motor same kind of problem but failed at 155k and i have had oldsmobile quad 4 and it failed at 82k orginal mile.. so it really depends on who takes care and it also depends on what part they use inside the motor from factory.. it is not always good as BMW... i guess everyone get what i am saying... mine got 146k and still sound like new. so dont worry about S10 cuz i have had 4 same motor as S10 and all runs good execpt for one that failed due to bad front seal and made the main bearing to go out on nbr one next to where it is leaking at and that is 257k orginal mile..
peace out

2 Posts
Ok well my s-15 is a 2.4L V6 Extended Cab and I've taken good care of it for a long time, I've bought it from a good friend of a family member of mine and it was his dads, as far as I know, it's in perfect shape and nothings wrong even at its 378k Millage on the dash (Maybe far fetched or incorrect as I have no idea what the original owners have done). Yes It is very sluggish and slow with its stock 109HP, but the only issue was fixed fast and easy in which was a rust hole in the gas tank, as i still have the original gas tank cover over time its been filled with water then RUST. But that's it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.