S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 model S-10 and the oil pan gasket is leaking, and may need to be changed. I was wondering how hard is this to do and what would the cost of something like this run? Any help is appreciated...

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
Well, it has been said, that you can jack the motor up as high as it can go, and remove the pan, but there is alot of stuff in the way if you do it that way. The easiest way, with less headaches, will be to pull the motor, and do the repair, and put the motor back in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
you can also try putting that stop leak stuff in your oil. all it does is recondition the gaskets and makes them swell up so the leak stops. worked for mine.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
you can also try putting that stop leak stuff in your oil. all it does is recondition the gaskets and makes them swell up so the leak stops. worked for mine.
And you do realize that stuff, can coagulate over time and screw up your engine? That stuff is a temporary fix, and can be a demise of the engine at the same time. I would never recommend anyone to use that stuff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Take pan bolts out, drop pan as for down as you can. Spray serface with carb. cleaner to remove oil from gasket. put Hi-temp silacon on gasket serface and reinstal oilpan and bolts. Otherwise pull engine. I would pull engine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
coagulate? No it wont, maybe if you let it sit for months at a time i guess. for the problem with old dried out gaskets it works fine.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
coagulate? No it wont, maybe if you let it sit for months at a time i guess. for the problem with old dried out gaskets it works fine.
If you actually think, that that shit is good for an engine, go ask any real mechanic, if they use it. Guarantee, it will be NO. All that shit does, is chemically react to the fluid, and cause a reaction. What happens after prolonged use of any chemical? It breaks down, and not in an easy way.

·
Registered
82 Posts
your gonna ask a mechanic who wants you to spend the money to give him work if you should use it? wow, your a genius. your right i don't know anything and should just listen to what people say, not what experience has taught me. chemical reaction? really, what chemical reaction smart guy? tell me what chemicals react that cause this disaster you claim.

·
S10 Pilot
17 Posts
your gonna ask a mechanic who wants you to spend the money to give him work if you should use it? wow, your a genius. your right i don't know anything and should just listen to what people say, not what experience has taught me. chemical reaction? really, what chemical reaction smart guy? tell me what chemicals react that cause this disaster you claim.
The chemical reaction that I believe he was refering to is the fact that any "stop leak" product has particles designed to seek out leaks and then harden in said leak to stop it. Problem is, they cant differentiate between a leak and lets say a heater core or an oil passage or some other vital part of your engine that is in dire need of that particular fluid. Now I understand that "in your experience" Stop leak products may have worked for you in the past however in my experience, they are a band-aid at best and at worst can seriously damage your vehicle.

·
SlammedSonoma96
904 Posts
The chemical reaction that I believe he was refering to is the fact that any "stop leak" product has particles designed to seek out leaks and then harden in said leak to stop it. Problem is, they cant differentiate between a leak and lets say a heater core or an oil passage or some other vital part of your engine that is in dire need of that particular fluid. Now I understand that "in your experience" Stop leak products may have worked for you in the past however in my experience, they are a band-aid at best and at worst can seriously damage your vehicle.
Thanks for replying to this idiot. I wasnt back fast enough to read his ignorant post.

Being a Master service tech for the past 15 years, I have seen the damage caused by that garbage. You think your so smart, show me your official license showing you have knowledge in repairing vehicles properly. I have a Master Dealer Service Technician Certificate, Master's Degree in Automotive Technology, and an Associates degree, in Automotive Technology. All of which was sponsered through General Motors. I never said anything about asking someone, "how much to fix this", I asked you to ask a qualified mechanic, if they would use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts