S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that drag race their S10, at what speed would a person be wise to install a rear wing (like the S&W fabricated sheet metal type)? Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I dial in what year I want to go back to? (... assuming you're making a funny about "Back to the Future?")

We're doing the wiring now on a build-up that SHOULD have been done three years ago. The computer software has it running 9.4 at 137mph with a 4L80 transmission (your basic street truck!). A glide would push it to 9.14 (according to the same software). I would prefer to not add an aero wing, but just wanted to get an idea of others running the same speed in a late-model S10. Thanks!

·
No longer a pizza tech.
12,166 Posts
black x ran a 9.32 and is searching for 8s, he doesnt have one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
black x ran a 9.32 and is searching for 8s, he doesnt have one.
This is encouraging! I'm hoping that with a good alignment, tires, and having the suspension set up well that it will launch and track nice and straight down the quarter mile.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
We were running in the low 8s in the 1/8th without one. I don't think anything built out of a street car/truck needs a wing. Now when you go full tube chassis with fiberglass body running 500 inches on top fuel, yeah a wing will help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Now when you go full tube chassis with fiberglass body running 500 inches on top fuel, yeah a wing will help.
Now that's funny! Full tube chassis, big cubes, and top fuel,... I'll need more than aero then! I'll be needing two parachutes and a full team of workers! This is just a back-half, four-link, 525BBC at 14:1 steel-body setup with about 875hp. There's no power adder, so the rear should remain well planted the whole run. These trucks aren't exactly like driving Corvettes, so I was just thinking that a little bit of aero treatment might make a big difference. I just don't know at what speed it starts to make any difference. Perhaps, and I'm hoping, that I don't need to worry about it unless I'm running a mid-8 second (1/4-mile) pass.

Here's an older picture I took earlier this year:

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Nice truck, what class you shooting for? I know everything nhra now is limited to 500 inch motors.

Our first gen was backhalved, full cage, glass nose, and only a 383.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, DogsofJune! I'm hoping it'll be loads of fun.

Neo: I plan to start it in the Sportsman footbrake class.

·
An ol Scott
835 Posts
Aproxamatly 70 to 75 mph is where aeromods start to be effective. I can feel it start making a difference in the 80 to 85 mph range in my truck. It set's solidly down in it's lane and runs straight and true. No rear wing or spoler needed. I don't need to force the back down any more than it allready does on its own.
A brick has better aerodamics than our trucks do to begin with. Clean up the front of it as much as you can and untill you need a parachute then add a small wing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, SilverWings! The only thing I dislike about front aero treatment is getting it on and off the trailer without damage.

·
An ol Scott
835 Posts
Thanks, SilverWings! The only thing I dislike about front aero treatment is getting it on and off the trailer without damage.
I have the normal rake stance with a low front valance with a small opening, but the real benifit comes from the spliter on the bottom of it. That goes a long way to helping limit the dirty air going under the truck as well as putting good down force on it at speed. The air flowing over the back of the bed creates enough downforce that works good enough for me.
Its my DD and its a sleeper. I don't drag race it anymore. It's so much fun to get it out on the road now. I'm into pro-street touring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you will do just fine without the wing on that good looking truck 525. i have been working at and around the races for more than 25 years and i can tell you, unless you are planning to bracket race at 160 plus, you will never see a differance with or without a wing. do make sure the bed is covered, or the tail gate is removed though. my uncles car had one when he bought the rolling chassis. he is running nhra super street (10.9 @ 144) and i swear it just gets in the way while working on the car. who did the bb headers? any pics? good luck, drgrcr

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
For those that drag race their S10, at what speed would a person be wise to install a rear wing (like the S&W fabricated sheet metal type)? Thanks!
as drgrcr said the wing won't do very much,but coefficient of drag will slow you down.if you use a bed cover the air will roll off tail and curl under back of truck,especially if the back is straight down from cover as appposed to a curved slope like an suv hatch/window back.that transitions the drag alot better.so no wing but a small spoiler @12degrees above plane at rear with a smooth transition from cover to spoiler. this will kick out that rolling air further away from tail and have less drag.the other thing you should know is that as speed increases the air from both sides at rear forms a tornado like turbulance seperatly and twist inward from each side.this is also motion to suck the cover air downward.also consider inner fenders or tubs in front as this helps for less drag under the hood.you may be able to gain 3/10ths on et. hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! Maybe no bed cover would be better. Myth Busters showed how fuel mileage improves slightly with the tail gate up and no cover because of air circulating (rolling) creates an air dome over which oncoming air goes over. Taking the tail gate down preventing this rolling build-up of air. I guess I'll just have to makes passes without a cover, with a cover, and then with a spoiler on the end. I guess the other benefit of having the rear wing is that it gives a place to lay the hood.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts