S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since the 4.3 does 165 hp, modded around 200, how much faster is it than stock? is it really worth it to put approx. 1000 or more into the engine? how competitive can i really be? im just beginning to wonder if spending all this money is gonna be worth it. whats your opinions?

·
4-Door Blazin'
81 Posts
It'll never be a Corvette, but if you've got the cash you can make these things move.....I personally only put alittle bit of money into performance, otehrwise the majority of my cash goes to audio/appearance mods for exactly this reason.

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i was just wonderin, cause im considering maybe a 350 instead, wondering what would be faster by the time i hit about 1500 bucks invested? so pretty much a stock 350 or a nicely modded 262. whats your thoughts?

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
just buy a old 4.3 block for about 50$ from a salvage yard and slowly buy parts for it when u get the cash pistons, lifts, cam, roots blower by the time u spend maybe 4500 could be less could be a little more you should have a nice 300+ hp 4.3 then just drop it in ur truck

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why dont i just do that to my stock engine? thatd work, wouldnt it? for my engine ive found:

pistons
rods (f*ckin expensive)
lifters
cams
springs
rockers

i havent found:
heads

what else would i need? id love to keep the 4.3, and id like to hit 250 hp, i plan on tearing apart the engine if i keep it.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Build the bottom end so that it can take lots of Nitrous, that way you have everyday driveability and the power to kick some butt when you need it!

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how much would i need to do to prepare for nitrous, and how much would a spray system cost? what could i run if i sprayed? i just would like to not have to go to a 350, i just wanna shock the hell outta people with my 4.3. and toast those wanna-be ricers. there really arent TRUE ricers in iowa, they just put on altezza tails and a muffler tip and call it good, but there is that NSX toolin around here....

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
If you do the work yourself.....maybe $1000 for the internals....the kit can be had for $500-$600 and who knows how fast you'll go.....depends of a bunch of other stuff like tires, differential, gears......

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was meaning what parts should i upgrade to get there? obviously exhaust, but pistons? cams? what?

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
Hey Darrell, I've got a '91... it beats all the ricers it needs to... and still emissions legal!!!... course due to innacurate G-tech pro readings don't know for sure what the powerplant produces (supposedly 213 rear wheel hp.. huhhmm... maybe!)
I've got... :

EXHAUST:
Edelbrock Headers, dual exhaust (one to two muffler, high flow cat, loud but powerful... lets the engine breathe )

INTAKE:
K&N Offroad Filtercharger system (not emissions legal.. :-( sigh!) Poweraid throttle body spacer (gives it a nice hiss when you stomp on it, and a loud whistle at certain rpms... good for shock value)

ENGINE:

14" Electric ThinLine fan (without it the alternator whines, makes a pretty good illusion of a turbo or supercharger until i can actually FIND a turbo or a supercharger.. sigh!) Bosch +4 spark plugs, high performance wires / distributor cap, ac delco i believe, need to upgrade to a full MSD ignition system.. Stage 2 JetChip, looking at hypertech though not sure which is better...

ASSORTED:

Hurst short-throw shifter to top things off....

I know i'm forgetting some stuff, but i gotta run let me know if this helped at all.... My truck will kill new V8 silverados off the line till about 40 mph, then loses it's legs.... so definately want a cam, manifold, throttle body, turbo or supercharger, and msd... i'm staying emissions legal though so the cam is pretty much out as far as I know.... arghh..... BUT YES a 4.3l engine can decimate all, even though it's old.... I beat a new, slightly modded 2001 S-10 Zr2 two weekends ago in about a quarter mile so i'm happy that it can compete... let me know what you decide to do

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
the 4.3s come stock 180 hp, with vortec heads its 190 hp.

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
yea down here ive seen guys with a total stock s-10 4.3 vortec, kick the hell out of some camero rses, all they do is just slap on some slicks. the 4.3 is just a 350 with two less pistons.:twak:

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gotta remember tho, ive got a non-vortec 4.3, its a 93 truck. heres what im want to get by the time im done with the truck:

edelbrock headers
high-flow cat
flowmaster 40 muffler
new pistons
new rockers
new lifters
new camshaft
hypertech thermomaster chip
180 or 160 degree thermostat
throttle body spacer
electric fan
underdrive pulleys
msd 6a ignition, wires, and new plugs

and if possible:
new rear end: 3.73, ive got 3.42 right now, just the computers gonna have to be reprogrammed, can i do this with an aftermarket computer? i cant use a HPP, since im 93
spray

what do you think? what should i upgrade first? im thinkin exhaust..... what order should i do these? probably reply with quote and put these in order. thanks guys!!!

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
Good plan on the truck... the exhaust system is definately the priority, get the throttle body spacer (it's kinda tough to install but really inexpensive.. you have to lengthen your throttle body wire, there are a couple of ways to do it... ) Get the pulleys, even though I don't have them they're pretty cheap and I've heard good things about them... the hypertech and the 180 thermo is good too.... Pistons, Rockers, Lifters, Camshaft, phew, all outta my leauge for now, but definately worth it....... the exhaust, if done right, for the parts will be somewhere around $400 for the edelbrock headers, $90 for the high flow cat, and $80 or so for the muffler... plus the tubing... this is what it cost me I don't know what difference yours might be..... to have it all installed is another $300-$500.... very worth it though... I'd put everything on myself, the headers are a little tight though, so I hear...

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the headers are 270 from summit and the muffler is 80, i might just skip the cat, and my friends a damn good welder, well probably do it ourselves.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i'm looking to run a NX 75/100 shot, anyone have this size of a shot?? i'd like to order it very soon, but i wanna make sure i have everything i need first. anything i should know about besides the usual n20 preperation????

·
Registered
132 Posts
blancs9410 said:
the 4.3s come stock 180 hp, with vortec heads its 190 hp.
I believe your '94 TBI "Z" is 160-170HP stock.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Instead of building a block, would it be possible to buy an already built 4.3L block for a typhoon? Don't they have stronger internals to handle the turbo boost? Would that block handle a 100hp shot of nitrous?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts