S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a completely new exhaust system when I put the 3.4 in my truck. I am planning on getting headers, and having dual pipes exit out the rear, but I still have to have a cat, so I will have a Y pipe off the headers and a single head pipe to the cat. I don't want to deal with dual cats and H-pipes, etc (that's just extra expense and weight). But after the cat I have a couple options-

#1- I could keep the stock type setup so that after the cat I have a single muffler that splits off and has dual tailpipes out the back?

OR #2- After the cat I could split it and run dual pipes over the axle and then install two small mufflers and short tail pipes out the rear. (like a tradition cars dual exhaust)

So the basic difference would the the location of the muffler/mufflers. I guess my question is, why do trucks have the mufflers so far from the exit of the exhaust? And does that effect the sound in any way?
I know I read somewhere that tailpipes should not be over 6ft or under 1ft. I know if they are under 1ft you tend to get the Honda syndrome, but whats wrong with over 6 ft?

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
option 2 will sound better but your car will run like shit in the low end. i personally like #1 but you could also do 2.5 in/2.5 out w/ dual tips. i think one of the major reasons for a muffler is that it creates extra velocity having the exhaust gases winding through it. so if you set it back close to the end the exhaust will be going slower than ****. if you put it too close to the cat it mite end up going slow by the time it leaves. this is all the theory. but i would definitely go with#1 for performance and decent sound. and #2 for sound.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I guess that could have somthing to do with it, Cars do tend to be tuned for high end power and that's not what I'm looking for in a 4wd truck.

The more I think about it though, I think they just put the mufflers were they do because there is no room for a big huge muffler after the axle, so the exhaust would be to loud for a stock truck.

·
mmm, Crown Royal......
66 Posts
in my experience in doing various custom exhaust systems on the cars I own/used to own, I've found that placing the muffler closer to the motor in catless systems makes the car/truck loud all the time even under normal acceleration and that it gets steadily louder as acceleration increases. I've got a true dual system on one of my trucks w/ no cats(hey, it's a 63..lol) and two glasspacks placed in the middle of the truck, it has a low/deep idle and progressively gets louder as I accelerate/increase revs. I think if you want a loud exhaust you should go w/ the #1 setup you listed and use a resonator(true resonator, or a glasspack will do) if you plan on installing a chambered muffler to keep rasp/unwanted sounds away..unless you want an exhaust that pops/cackles(some people like that sorta thing, I personally don't.:bugeye: )

·
Registered
677 Posts
I agree with mfewtrail, I also did custom exhaust work for a couple years. Also another good exhaust manufacturer is MAC, Its kinda like flowmaster but i think that MAC is better.
Just my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts