S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to remove the tailgate handle and latches to put into my new tailgate. I unbolted the handle from the inside of the tailgate and each latch on each end. I am now stuck and ready to break out the crow bar. How do you get this loose?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is some type of metal sleeve that is holding one of the rods on. I cannnot push the rod over the sleeve. I will try messing with it again today.

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
That's one of the retainer clips. You have to push or pry those off to get the rods out of the handle. You need those to keep the rods from falling out, so save 'em or buy new ones.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
That's one of the retainer clips. You have to push or pry those off to get the rods out of the handle. You need those to keep the rods from falling out, so save 'em or buy new ones.

Good old duct tape works as a great replacement for those clips...

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Good old duct tape works as a great replacement for those clips...
I drilled the rods for cotter pins on my truck, I suppose duct tape would work for a day or two.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I drilled the rods for cotter pins on my truck, I suppose duct tape would work for a day or two.
Over a year in the blazers door with no problems. I really like the cotter pin idea though, I'm going to use it when I replace the latches on my doors.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to get a crowbar and bend out the dent from the guy who hit me in order to get the handle out. I was then able to pull the handle out far enough to see the two rods. The crowbar easily removed the rods from the retainer clips. I somehow managed to keep the clips intact when I removed the rods so I was able to reuse them. Everything is in my tailgate and now ready for paint. Thanks for the help. Pics coming soon after paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts