S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has an 01 Monte Carlo and his rear defroster tab snapped off. He took it to a local glass shop and they tried to fix it but after a few days the tab fell right back off. He tried fixing it himself with some conductive epoxy but agin it didn't stick. He also tried to solder it in place and the solder wouldn't stick to the contacts either.

So far the dealership has told him that they can't fix it and that he needs to buy a completely new window.

There has to be a way to fix this without having to replace the whole window.

I told him that I would check around for other possible solutions so if you have any experience in this, speak up. My friend probably isn't the only one with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

Knowing my friend, that won't happen. He'll live without the use of a defroster before he buys the window for that reason.

The only idea that i could come up with was to use silicon caulk to build up around the tab to hold it in place on the contact. I think this could work if there was a thin, bent piece of metal similar to a spring between the two objects to maintain the connection. It might be a ghetto fix but who would know or care?

BTW, my friend has an 82 s-10 with a 350 V8 so he is into trucks but not much into forums and such. He also drives another 4x4 s-10 as a daily driver too.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
96blazer said:
Wouldn't an 01 still be under warranty?
You'd like to think so. I'll have to have him double check. He believes that it is not still under warranty because of his mileage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out they (the dealership) denied him the warranty because that item falls under abuse/neglect...in other words, he couldn't prove that it was faulty. So they naturally assume that he knocked it off.

I think he is going to try to solder some wire leads to the window connector and then attach the wire leads to the power source.

The first time he tried to solder it the solder wouldn't stick even after he prepped the surface well. So he may be without a defroster this winter.

He checked at other glass places and they had no clue how to do it...how odd.

·
Hyundai Owner
4,272 Posts
Southern said:
He'll still prolly have to pay out of pocket.
Not usually.
I had full glass coverage on my '93 S10 and a rock fell off a dumptruck and cracked the windshield and I got it replaced for free and my insurance didnt go up at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts