S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I just bought a '96 S-10 for a daily driver. How do you get those stupid daytime running lights turned off? Preferably, I'd like a reversable solution in case I ever sell the truck to a safety weenie.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, I'm not against being safe. I just don't see any benefit in wasting the energy to run those lights in perfectly good weather. I have the experience and good judgement to know when to turn on my headlights (fog, rain, dark, etc.) I don't want to be forced to do it continuously because of someone else's perception that it is safer. The only reason headlights should be on during the daytime is to warn oncoming motorists of speed traps ahead of them (and funerals, I guess).

Thanks in advance,
John.

·
Registered
804 Posts
re:

Hey John...

I have step by step instructions on how to do this on my website... go to modifications and it should be there.

The steps are geared towards late model S10/Sonomas but the procedure should still be the same.

I've also heard that hitting the dome light 4 times will turn them off but you'd have to do it each time... as well this method doesn't work on some trucks.

You can also click your e-brake one click and it will leave them off... but personally don't like this idea.

Hope this helps,

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
look at the under hood fuse box...one fuse is upside down...pull it out..look at the bottom of it..tab 86...bend that tab over and then put the fuse back in..and they won't work any more...simple as that

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi:

Thanks for trying to help, but apparently '96's don't have an under-hood fuse box. All the fuses for the truck are located in a small panel on the driver side end of the instrument panel. I tried removing the DRL fuse located there, but the fog lights quit working, too.

There are four relays mounted to the firewall in the engine compartment just beneath the weatherstrip for the back of the hood, but I believe they are related to the air conditioning system.

I found a small relay panel inside the back of the glove compartment that contains four relays. Three are small Omron relays. One is a larger Potter Brumfield relay with 5 pins. This matches up with the DRL relay in the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual, but the diagram does not show relay pin numbers on it. Looking at the back of the relay, the pins are arranged and numbered as follows:

top - 86
middle left - 30
middle center - 87a
middle right - 87
bottom - 85

I tried bending pin 86 over and re-inserting the relay, but this disabled the fog lamps.

When I get a chance, I'll look up the relay part number and see if I can find a pinout diagram. Then I can figure out what to do. In the mean time, if anybody knows how to disable the DRL's on a '96 S-10 with fog lights, I'd appreciate being spared the trouble.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
804 Posts
re:

Did the instructions on my website help?

I have instructions as to how to make a jumper wire to disable the drls but still leave your high beams (and should leave your fogs too).

Hope this helps,

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Nick:

Because of the location of the relay in my truck, it will be nearly impossible to install a jumper. I tried just bending pin 86 on the relay, which, according to the wiring diagram I have (and xtremer-pxl), should have worked. This disabled the fog lights, too, though. I'm not sure why, because this relay isn't used to control them. Either my diagram is wrong (quite possible since I have already found numerous errors elsewhere in my Haynes manual), or the DRL module can detect the failure of the relay and disables the fog lights for some reason.

I have not tried modifying the relay, because if it doesn't work, the modification is not reversable. I looked up the relay part number and will order another one ($3.95) from Newark Electronics tomorrow. Once I have that, I'll try cutting on the relay.

I guess I need to find a factory service manual for an accurate wiring diagram in case your suggestion doesn't work. Incedentally, I have searched the web and found many references to disabling DRL's, but none of them are written specifically about '96 S-10's by anyone who has actually done it.

If all of this doesn't work, I'll pull apart the fuse panel and disconnect the DRL power lead from the fuse holder. This should deactivate the DRL's without losing the fog lights.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
John.

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Sorry man. I cut off pins 85, 86 and 87 on the relay and plugged it back in. The DRL's didn't come on, but neither did the fog lights. Back to square one.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
804 Posts
re:

Sorry it didn't work John... what you may want to try to do is rewire the fogs so that you can control them on a separate switch, or rewire it into the factory dash switch with the disabled DRLs.

I was hoping that would work out for you... there has to be someone who has done it though... just have to find em.

·
Registered
804 Posts
re:

Ask the_tool_man... he also has a 96 S10... he has found the relay but cannot get the drls disabled without disabling the fogs as well.

Hope this helps,

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Andrew:

Read post #4 above. Open the glovebox. Dig out all the junk crammed in there. In the back you will see a plastic panel that has the words "RELAY ACCESS" embossed on it. Unhook the top of the panel and you can pry it downward to reveal four black relays. The one that controls the DRL's is on the left. It is larger than the other three. If you don't have fog lights, I suspect that Nick's website info on modifying the relay would work for you. However, if you have fog lights, they will also cease to work after modifying the relay.

So now what? I'm not quite sure, but I'm going to try disconnecting the DRL wire from the back of the fuse panel and see if the other lights still work properly. If that doesn't work, I may try to straight-wire the fog light switch and bypass the DRL circuitry completely.

You don't happen to have a factory service manual for your truck do you? All I have is a Haynes manual, and the wiring diagrams printed in it apparently do not match the S-10 exactly (the Haynes covers Jimmys and Blazers, too, so it's not specific to S-10's). I need to get my hands on a real service manual to see what other options I may have. I'll keep you posted as to my progress.

Regards,
John.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts