S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been trying to get this info out of someone for awhile now if anybody can help me in detail please do and THANKS!!
I just need to know how to wire them in detail i got the needle part already.
By the way i have a 96 Dyme

·
Early Member
3,166 Posts
If that is a gauge face replacement you will need to carefully remove the face of your stock gauges and install that replacement. If

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i understand that
What i am asking is how do i wire them????????????

·
Statutory Ape
1,632 Posts
you shouldnt have to. just take the old one off and put that one on? i thought thats how those worked, havent done one myself though. unless it has the color changing light or something i dont think you'd have to wire anything

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it has 6 shades of blue and green at night
I need to know how to wire it up

·
Early Member
3,166 Posts
What did the instructions that came with it tell you? Where did you buy them?

·
xtremefour
1,805 Posts
If it is anything like the ones that i use to have it is just 2 wires correct? My friend did the wiring but he just wired it into my light cluster. just a power and a ground. He taped into the power wire for when you turn on your lights and the ground wire from the factory switch.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have them yet

·
Registered
141 Posts
yeah, i am wiring the same thing right now for my 94. however, i am also changing the other lights (turn signals, high beams, etc) to blue leds. i am removing the factory dimmer and puttin my new one there....in mine, and yours is prob the same, there are 4 wires runnin from the stock dimmer....1 wire for interior lights, 1 for the instrument panel and heater/a/c display, 1 for ground and 1 for power. i cant remember which r which right now, but i have it written down. i can add that later...in your case, if you are keepin the stock dimmer in addition to the one you just bought, all you need to do is splice into the ground and power wires....that should be it...if you wanna do it the way i am, let me know...i think the ground is brown and power is red...i will double check that though...

·
Early Member
3,166 Posts
Don't you think you should wait until you get them to ask questions? I am sure the enclosed instructions would offer advice on how to install and wire if necessary.

·
Token Bald Guy
743 Posts
they wont have directions, atleast mine didnt, but you soon figure out what it is...black for ground, red for power which i put running to my fuse box and then the adjustable switch hooks up just right

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know i have yet to get them they are in the mail

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well then it is easy. Basically what you are getting is gauge overlays. So you shouldn't have to tear off your old ones, well at least I didn't. So basically you get a color inverter with your gauges which will plug into the side of the gauges them selves. All you have to do is wire a ground and an accessory for the inverter to go on.

What I did for mine is I ran the red wire to my gauges in the fuse box, so when the gauge light goes on, so does the inverter.

Any questions, PM me

·
Certified MASShole
4,372 Posts
i got a set of reverse indiglo ones. I asked my local stereo shop and they said to tap your power wire into ur parking light positive wire. This wire is brown and is located at the bottom of the dash on the driverside just under the ashtry. i cut it, added like 6 inches of wire to work with and then hooked up the power of the gauges to that. for the neg. i hooked it up to my radio neg. it was the easiest thing to do since i was in there. i stuffed the lil black box and switch behind the dash in the opening behind the airbag shutoff. i hope this helps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
How do you tap into the wires you are talking about? I would like my indiglo lights to work just like my lights do now. I do not want the indiglo to come on during the day with my daytime running lights, but I want it to come on when my head lights come on. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
work in progress
2,628 Posts
I bought the same ones, They are actually pretty easy. You do not need to take the existing gauge face off, just overlay the new one on top. Then take the black wire and ground that to nearest bolt on the steering column. Then take the red wire and connect that to your headlights power wire. That way the gauges will come on automatically with your headlights. Just make sure you carefully mark where your needles were before you take them off, or your guage readings will be off if your not careful when putting them back on. I would get you pics, but my truck is in the shop and its too damn cold anyway.

·
Certified MASShole
4,372 Posts
they shouldnt come on with you drl's. the only problem is that the dimmer will dim everything but your new gauges. Because it is ontop of you other ones Yes the needles r a B*&^H to do. Took me 2 days with an open dash to get them close. If you have ne ?'s call up ur audio shop. they told me that it was behind the headlight switch but i went back and asked again (showing him that there was no brown behind the light switch and he's like o yeah its down near the gas pedal. I would say it took me like 1.5 hours to put in. also dont push the needle down too much cause if you have small air bubbles under the overlay the needle will stick. i still think its funny that once i get off the highway and im at a red light that im goin 75 lol!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Couldn't I just peel back the coating on the wire that is currently hooked up to the dash cluster light and wrap the end of the indiglo one to it so it will draw power from it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have daytime running heads so i cant hook it up to that...
I need to wire it so it comes on and dims with my stock switches
Anybody got the how to on that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts