S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What fluids do I need to check, how often do I check them, and how do I check them?

My friend was having a major problem with a leak in his car's radiator, and that made me think about mine. I opened the cap that's in the radiator (when the engine was cool), but I didn't see anything but metal fins. Should I see fluid? Also, I looked in the little plastic tank over on the left side of the engine (facing the front of the truck), but it was empty. It is my assumption that if I ran out of cooling fluid, I would see my engine running warmer, so this didn't alarm me. Maybe I'm not suppost to see anything?

Furthermore, what other fluids do I need to check and how often?

I have a '98 S-10 ZR2.

-ee99ee

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
Yes, if you are low on coolant your engine could run hot. I top off the coolant in my overflow (little plastic tank) every other month just from it evaporating. Check the oil whenever you feel like it, shouldnt be a problem if you get oil changes regularly. Check trans fluid level. Like Lame SS stated, there is alot of info in the owners manual.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I'll pickup some coolant next time I'm at wally-mart. Any certin kind you all suggest?

-ee99ee

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
Anything that says GM Dex-Cool approved on it. Mix it 50-50 coolant and fresh water.

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
depends on if you have the sh*tty dexcool or the greenstuff..

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
Is the coolant orange/pinkish, or is it green color? You said it was low, Im sure you can see it somehow.

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
98's came with dexcool antifreeze, you mjight want to check and make sure the person who had the truck before you did hasnt switched it over to the green antifreese.. Dexcool will be orange, regular antifreeze will be green..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh.... I'll check tomorrow morning. I don't remember.

Should the cooling system be flushed every so often, as in totally drained somehow and replaced with all new fluid?

-ee99ee

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
GM says the coolant should last 100k miles I think, but I would flush it every 50 k miles, depends how much you drive it I guess. I think I flushed mine around 45k miles, I got 65k on it now.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
i'd say the most important fluids to check are the brake and steering fluids. i dont know where they are but ill find them damn it.

·
Day: Geek - Night: Nerd
337 Posts
97S10SS said:
GM says the coolant should last 100k miles I think, but I would flush it every 50 k miles, depends how much you drive it I guess. I think I flushed mine around 45k miles, I got 65k on it now.
I have heard from the service department that in 2000+ it "should" last 150k. But that just seems like to long with all the gunk that gets into the system...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay I just went and looked. It's red. I looked in the little plastic bottle, and it was almost empty. Down in the bottom as far as I could see, there was just a little bit. The stuff was NASTY though. It looks like liquid sand-paper. The inside of the plastic bottle was coated with this nasty grit. When I took the lid off the radiator, there was this hard crusty stuff all around the edge of it (all around the edge of where the cap was). Is that normal??

-ee99ee

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
Its kinda normal, if you have never checked it before it will build up. Clean it off the radiator cap, you should be ok. Flushing the system wont hurt though, if you know what your doing. Definetly top it off though in the overflow resivoir.

·
Day: Geek - Night: Nerd
337 Posts
Just to see if you need to mix it 50% Dex-Cool & 50% water. Do not add just coolant by itself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts