S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Not an O.G.
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if someone could explain to me exactlly how you change out the stock thermostat with a 160 degree one for my truck. Thanx :eek:

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
ok

1. buy thermostat and gasket

2 drain coolant

3 locate thermostat housing

4. unbolt housing from block

5 remove old thermostat and scrape gasket completely off

6 install new themostat and gasket like the old one was

7 evenly tighten bolts back on thermostat

8 refill coolant

9 run for 5-10 mins with heater on to bleed out any air pockets

10 re-check coolant level

·
538 Posts
be aware though, unless you are using an aftermarket chip or the HPP this will decrease mileage as the computer will stay in warm up mode

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
ONEBDGMC said:
ok

1. buy thermostat and gasket

2 drain coolant

3 locate thermostat housing

4. unbolt housing from block

5 remove old thermostat and scrape gasket completely off

6 install new themostat and gasket like the old one was

7 evenly tighten bolts back on thermostat

8 refill coolant

9 run for 5-10 mins with heater on to bleed out any air pockets

10 re-check coolant level
you dont really have to drain the whole thing just enuf so that the coolant level is lower than the stat it helps doin it this way so there is only one bubble in the system and it disapates as soon as the stat opens.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
ONEBDGMC said:
be aware though, unless you are using an aftermarket chip or the HPP this will decrease mileage as the computer will stay in warm up mode

and after a while it will throw a code and you will get the happy check engine light

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
SS4Real said:
Thanx for the directions but whats the best chip then? (I already knew about the HPIII).
i have the HPPIII and am very happy with it. it can be used to change the computer settings to compansate for tire size change, rear gear change shift points and some other stuff that really helps out if you plan on changing things.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ONEBDGMC said:
Where does this come from? GM told me that because it makes vechicles that are used in all the US, which includes North Dakota, Alaska, and parts of Canada where it is very cold and the motor may not even get to 195 at all in the winter, the computer changes loop at 140 degrees. I no longer am running a computer tuning gadget at all, it dont work for long, but I still have the 160 stat, no code and get 21 mpg on average, same as before with the ADS Module.

·
538 Posts
i find it very hard to believe that engines never reach 195 in cold climates, especially since exhaust temps can reach 1500 deg.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I dunno... I have a 20 minute drive to work every day, and yes most days it hits the 195, but the other day I didnt even get close to 160...Thats after letting it warm up for 10 minutes!

·
538 Posts
Kenny Brown said:
160 is too low it will set a check engine lights for emissions
did ya try reading the second post of this thread?

K

·
0 Posts
no b/c most of the questions and answers are stupid so i skipped right past them why somebody would want a 160 in their truck is beyond me...that is a little gay
See ya!

·
2,186 Posts
Kenny Brown said:
no b/c most of the questions and answers are stupid so i skipped right past them why somebody would want a 160 in their truck is beyond me...that is a little gay
See ya!
um, protecting your engine from high temps is not gay:bash: . if you use the stat in combo with the HPPIII performance is increased with no SES light. and the engine will run a lil more efficient.

·
2,186 Posts
01ZQ8 said:
Good call MM...and if the questions and answers are so stupid then why the f*ck are you here???
well, all though i agree, lets keep the tempers down. i do have to moderate this thread after all.:thumbup:

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
I've never seen any codes thrown with a 160* stat in my truck. Gauge reads 170 to 190 instead of 190 - 210. over 25,000 miles with it, sometimes without HPP 160* tuning, sometimes with. NO CODES.

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
Tha_Boom said:

and after a while it will throw a code and you will get the happy check engine light
I have a Hypertech 160 and I've had it for a while, it hasn't given me a problem so far. I don't see why it would???

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
They are refering if you run a colder stat with no computertune of any kind. Still shouldnt make a difference, the thermostat is only recommended to keep the motor cooler for the advance in timing the tune gives it, could get a ping.

·
Not an O.G.
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sp it sounds like everyone is saying if I'm going to run a 160 temp, I need to use a chip or HPIII or something, right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts