S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the 85 S10 4x4 the previous owner replaced the stock 2.8 with what he said is another 2.8. The original 2.8 had a mechanical fuel pump but the one thats in there now has no place to mount a mechancal fuel pump. I would like to know what year the engine is thats in there. Is there a code stamped somewhere on the block or other tell tale marks? I need to get a starter motor and also would like to know if it has a thicker journal crank of if its weak like the original which broke in 3 pieces. I know it didnt come from a 4x4 because he said he had to use the old pan and timing cover and distributor.

please advise.
Thanks.

· Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
2,639 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Been there Done it
16,768 Posts
Reactions: S10Gary

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heres what I got. I dont see it on the chart. Can anyone help me identify this engine? Thanks.
Automotive tire Tread Wood Font Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Tread Wood Font Synthetic rubber
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Artifact Art Wood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Artifact Art Wood

· B4U Task Force
35,510 Posts
You’re looking in the wrong place. The number will be on a machined surface, either laser etched or stamped.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In that link aitch gave me to the lmc website it says pad on right side behind distributor. That is where this number is.
Font Material property Parallel Number Multimedia

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is the location indicated. What do these 4 digits mean? Where are the numbers that I need? This is getting wierd. Its says look for 3 digit stamped in this location and I find 4 digits cast in the location they said to look.

· Been there Done it
16,768 Posts
Is the 8th letter of your vin R ?
From the LMC link above:
2.8 Liter Engine, (VIN Code R) V6, 173 CID
1986 S10 S15 T10 T15 GCA, GCB, GCC, GCD, GCF, GCG, GCH, GCJ, UCF, UCH, UCJ, UCK
1987 S10 S15 T10 T15 FDA, FDB, FDC, FDD
1988 S10 S15 T10 T15 PCA, PCB, PCC, PCD, PCF, PCH
1989 S10 S15 T10 T15 TMA, TMB, TMC, TMD, TMF, TMH
1990 S10 S15 TMA, UJC
1991 S10 S15 FKJ, UJC
1992 S10 S15 XHF
1993 S10 S15 AAZ

This from a Fiero Forum regarding stamped identification numbers:
The last part of the VIN including some of the intermediate lettering is stamped on the block flange adjacent to the bellhousing of the tranny. The stampings on the cast iron of the block are barely visible and it would take some serious observation with the engine out of the car to determine the numbers.
The area is where the starter bolts on and it's on the top part of the casting.
The following is an excerpt from a GM shop manual.
All engines and transaxles are stamped with a partial Vehicle Identification Number. The stamping contains nine positions.
Position one is the GM car division identifier - 1=Chevrolet, 2=Pontiac, 3=Oldsmobile, 4=Buick, 6=Cadillac
Position two is the model year
Position three is the car assembly plant code
Position four through nine is the assembly plant sequential number of the car.
The serial # is stamped on the engine block directly under the thermostat housing just before the face for the timing cover.
This pic if from an 87 Fiero GT 2.8L
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

The last 3 letters are SCN which is correct for an 87 Fiero GT.
I believe the LMC codes are correct, but not the location. Look om the front
as in the pic above.
It's the same place they put the codes on most SBC's.
This also shows you what an ID stamping looks like as opposed to the casting mark that was pictured above. Casting marks simply ID which raw casting it is and is far from what the ID of the finished engine is after all machining is done.

· Boozebag
10,830 Posts
Just an observation...
You may have a 3.4.
GM sold 3.4 crate engines that look almost identical to the 2.8.
They did not have a machined fuel pump opening. If you look at the passenger side of the block, you will see a threaded hole for a crank sensor just above the oil pan rail. These engines also came in Camaro/Firebirds.
The 2.8 engines in early Camaro/Firebirds with MPFI also had blocks that weren't machined for a fuel pump.
I know this doesn't help year of the engine, but it narrows it a little.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an observation...
You may have a 3.4.
GM sold 3.4 crate engines that look almost identical to the 2.8.
They did not have a machined fuel pump opening. If you look at the passenger side of the block, you will see a threaded hole for a crank sensor just above the oil pan rail. These engines also came in Camaro/Firebirds.
The 2.8 engines in early Camaro/Firebirds with MPFI also had blocks that weren't machined for a fuel pump.
I know this doesn't help year of the engine, but it narrows it a little.
Oh I wish Max I wish!! Where can I find a number on it for positive ID?

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heres some pics of the engine. Can anyone identify it please? i cant find any other numbers on this engine. Also, i marked some areas of concern in red, can anyone identify those areas for me? Thanks.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Rim

· B4U Task Force
35,510 Posts
If you look at the pic ODDS posted, it looks like the front of the engine where the head bolts on. Yours is probably in the same place, buried under brackets and 30 years worth of grime. I'd start removing stuff and clean it up. It's most likely covered with paint also.

· Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
2,639 Posts

· Boozebag
10,830 Posts
Replied to your PM. It looks like this is a pre 86 engine. Can't zero the year, but, the oil filter placement look like it is out of a car not a truck. The truck filter mount points to the back towards the firewall.
Hot P has a point. If you take the alternator brackets off, the engine number is under them.

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very much! So this engine would for sure have the small journals and not worth building up right? And with the air pump mount. That cant just be left open can it? Ill go take the bracket off and see if I can find the number. I looke all the time for a 3.4 in the marketplace and local junkyard online inventories to no avail. The 4x4e cover and oil pan and distro and intake and carb and accessories have all been installed from the original 85 4x4 2.8. One clue I have is the distributor that came with this mystery engine connected to some kind of spark control also, as it has more wires. The stock 85 one just connects to a coil. Not sure if thats meaningful.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts