S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S10, long bed, drop leafs and 1" block. Going over uneven pavement, I can hear something hitting - don't know if it's the shocks (oem shocks) bottoming out, or if it's the frame hitting the rear end (bump stops have been removed, not the bracket, just the rubber). Do I need to change shocks? I don't have the tools to remove the bracket.

·
Compliance!
5,152 Posts
I would remove bracket regardless. cutoff wheels are cheap especially at harbor frieght. they come in handy. Did i read that you have not changed shocks even after the drop leafs were installed? you should have drop shocks with those leafs if you dont already....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Look for wear marks on the brackets or axle. If there are pieces hitting, you should probably take the brackets out. The 1" blocks don't affect the shock length, but the drop leafs do. A 2" drop is tolerable on most shocks. Anything more than that and you should probably switch to a shorter shock.

Jake

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would remove bracket regardless. cutoff wheels are cheap especially at harbor frieght. they come in handy. Did i read that you have not changed shocks even after the drop leafs were installed? you should have drop shocks with those leafs if you dont already....
Thanks, I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look for wear marks on the brackets or axle. If there are pieces hitting, you should probably take the brackets out. The 1" blocks don't affect the shock length, but the drop leafs do. A 2" drop is tolerable on most shocks. Anything more than that and you should probably switch to a shorter shock.

Jake
I appreciate your input too!

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Put a big ass glob of grease on your frame right where you think it would be hitting..hit a few bumps..check to see if there's a matching glob. Or, you could drive with a creeper behind you, have a friend on the creeper while you're driving, and hit a few bumps. You might not have a friend to tell the tale afterwards, but at least you'll know..well wait..he would be dead, so you wouldn't know what the banging was. Nevermind, Sounded entertaining at the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts