S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 chevy s10 rwd
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 s10 with the 4.3l, it's naturally aspirated and i jusy want some more horses. I was thinking about carburetor swapping it, headers, intake, and cams. Im not looking for anything crazy and it's my daily so still needs to be easy to drive. What should i get, and how do i know the if the cams fit my engine?

·
Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
184 Posts
Headers, exhaust, and a decent air cleaner will free up a little bit. Probably increase your throttle response and fuel mileage as well. A cam will give a pretty good bump up, but you really should have the other stuff first.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,701 Posts
Have you thought about a TBI small block swap?

Reactions: oldeerslayer

·
Been there Done it
10,027 Posts
X2 on the TBI 350. Easy swap and cheaper than buying a bunch of performance parts that will add very little power and decrease the value of the truck. Would you buy an old S10 with a modified 4.3? Bet you'd rather have one that was V8 swapped correctly. Any 88-95 full size 2wd van or pickup 5.7 will nearly bolt in.
Get the chip out of the ECM from the donor truck and swap that for your 4.3 chip. Wiring done.

·
Been there Done it
10,027 Posts
Best advice for a DD that needs more power would be trade it in on something with more power. That way you won't be walking if any of your mods don't work out as planned.
Almost every one of my S-10's is modified, but I also have a car and a SUV that remain totally stock so that if I need to go get a part or go to the ER there is always something ready to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts