S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my son a 2001 3door s10. It had no motor or trans when i got it. I was sold an engine and pcm that I was told would plug right in and work.well it fire then dies and goes into VATS. (Security mode). Any help to get this truck on the road would be very much appreciated. No obd2 reader works to communicate to computer either. Just spins and spins saying can not connect..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes theres no communication to the computer from obd port. Re ran a new set of wires incase of breaks and nothing. I know its working the truck starts runs for a second and shuts down. Badically its priming the fuel system but it wont run enough fuel to keep it running

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The relearn can be done without the OBD port by cycling the key several times.

Did everything plug right in from the engine to the truck?

What engine are you installing 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,163 Posts
What year is the truck body&electronics? ecm? engine?

an 01 electronics are only compatible with ‘00,01,early production 02 (except for SRS module. if using an early ‘02 BCM the SRS module has to be from a 02 or 03.)

if you have a 01 body electronics(dash harness,body harness,BCM,SRS module,IP) you need a ‘00,01,02 VIN 5,ECM&harness

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,163 Posts
Yeah,that ain’t gonna happen.

The only way you’re going to successfully get it running,and working correctly is to either get all the rest of the electronics from a 01,that’s a lot of stuff...including airbag,column,cluster...you’d basically need the entire other vehicle..or the correct engine ,harness,and ecm.

‘98 is a one year engine,one year SRS ,ABS..cluster,column...I have one,and have gone through several...as well as every year&configuration second gen S-series you can think of...

here one of my threads..I thoroughly take these trucks down through there,and then some in this thread...

And that’s just one of the threads I have on here,but the only after the Photobucket fiasco...

in the last few pages I converted a‘99 to a ‘00 as well changed from 2.2 to 4.3,but the same rule applies...those 94-97, ‘98 and‘99 models all have some level of one off something or another before GM decided “this is how we’re gonna make s10’s) then stopped making them,lol.

sorry man.

where are you located? I have the parts you need,lol. I’d take a VIN 5(mid ‘00-02 2.2) for a ‘98VIN 4 any day,lol. I try to stay in that sweet spot of ‘00-03,but it isn’t always easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts