S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent an afternoon cleaning various wire connection points in my '85 Blazer as part of getting it back into service after sitting for several years. I found corrosion and oxidation on the fuse blades and contacts and used a Caig Deoxit D5 on them, plus some small wire brushes and very fine emery paper. That included some shunt connectors in the fuse panel which had contact corrosion. I kept checking both sides of the fuse with a voltmeter till I got zero or close to zero drop across the fuse. One thing I heard was that when I touched the wires, some relay would click on if the ignition switch was on, so I traced that to one of the wires that plugs into the fuse panel. Now that I've cleaned it, that relay clicks on with the ignition every time. The last two repairs my brother paid to have done to the car were electrical: power window switches and a turn signal switch.

I work professionally on vintage guitar amps, so I'm familiar with deteriorating contacts and wiring over time. Do you find with your 1st Gen Blazers that basic contact cleaning work holds up, or is it a constant battle to keep everything working?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it was after 85 I would say its probably the electric fuel pump relay but not sure if the 85 was electric or mechanical. My connections in the fuse box on my 86 are doing great except I did recently need to replace the window switches. Too much resistance across them slowing down the windows and the rear hatch still clicks but wont open electrically.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most of it is great but the windows are always corroded and never work right and the power locks don't but everything else is usually good. I am forgetting about the wipers that turn on when signaling or the washer fluid that comes on when I turn on the wipers but other than that all these newer (mid 80's) have better connecters than the old stuff and better wire quality but its still old. Mines a 90 and well its still doing pretty good for its age. I'm going to get someone to fix all that while its in getting the heater ducts fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts