S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm still really a newbie to this forum, but with all the recent controversy over posted "kills," I thought I'd offer an alternative way of viewing street racing. Now, personally, I get the highest thrill from racing in open traffic, road rally style. I take every possible safety precaution and would always rather lose a race than put anyone else in danger. However, in any kind of racing (with the partial exception of drag racing), it's a combination of about 25% machine and 75% driver. Hitting the gas and driving in a straight line is easy; anyone can do it. Managing your own safety in relation to other vehicles, planning a route and driving your car competitvely against your opponent; now that's a challenge.
So, given that, it's very possible for someone with a 2.2 to beat an Si, because the 2.2's driver might have been either a smarter or more ballsy racer than the Si. Each car has a stereotype attached to it's driver. (every Si driver is a punk teenager who thinks their car is the fastest, every Porsche driver a snobby lawyer who thinks they have a muscle car without any of the work). Therefore, part of the accomplishment in beating a "faster" car than your own is in disproving the popular misconception and stereotype that every truck is a work hauler driven by some *******.
It's also important in this forum to acknowledge victories such as a 2.2 beating an Si, because it's easier to win in an Si than in a 2.2, so for a 2.2 to beat an Si, it means the driver really compensated for a slower engine with superior driving.
Just my two cents...

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
Yea And I out ran a 2002 Z06 Corvette on my way to work!

Don't get me wrong, the driver does have alot to do with it..But when you are cruising the highway at 80mph and a Si is doing the speed limit and you pass him...HE WASN'T RACING! And after you pass him, he guns it and passes you back...He was just proving a Point! and that is that 2.2L are slow, now way around it!:stickpoke

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
xtremer-pxl said:
Yea And I out ran a 2002 Z06 Corvette on my way to work!
you must be a fast runner.... :D

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
ya that happened to me once but the owner out ran me....i think he worked out...

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
2.2 vs. 1.6

a 2.2 will get smoked by the crappy 1.6 si honda rice machine, they run faster than the 4.3's stock by about a second in the quarter, but I hate rice boys and make it a point to mess with them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
theres noway a 2.2 could beat an Si ,, i have an 2.2 and my girl has an si and i'll be the first to tell u that her car would kill me ..she has shock 160 hp , when i have about 100 120 ,,something around there

·
Registered
217 Posts
u east coast boys obviously have some slow ass 2.2's out there ive seen a couple out here beat si's on the west coast tracks...im curious are u guy regulated as badly as i am with smog (i live in so cal) everytime i gotta do a smog test i gotta take everything out and put the stock stuff back in :madfinger :bash: :cuss:

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
the other day I beat a camaro rs in some high speed corners, and he flew by when we hit the straight, 94 MHP and nothing.
tonight I got smoked by a grand am, and the worst thing was that some punk 16 year old in a wife beater was driving.

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
what is up with the 2.2l turbo anyway, STS changed there site and now it doesn't say anything about it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
you may want to hit them up and ask them ...my guess is they dont have the proper people to help them with the designing of the manifold and actually making it fit not to mention the fact that your probably going to need to remove the ac to get it to work then routing the piping to the intercooler.....look closely at how the engine bay is designed thers alot of bends needed in the piping to make it fit ....im sure its all feasible but the amout its going to cost to make it work is probably more than most would want to pay....i say **** the ac pull it all out and install a big ass supercharger right there on that mount ....even a small one boostin like 6-7 lbs will work :thumbup:

·
Dr. Pepper is ma BITCH
473 Posts
ok, speaking of stereo types, i am 16, i wear "wife beaters" but i don't consider myself a punk, its not like all of us teenagers are tyring to be tough by racing, hell i raced a 96 talon AWD turbo in my moms 93 minivan with 350,000Km on it, its all for kicks man, i just think you guys should give us "kids" a chance.
thanks,

p.s. yes some of us are punks,
p.p.s. yes i did get my ass handed to me on a plate when we raced. but it was funny as hell

·
Racing Stock
518 Posts
It's all for fun, but if you put serious money into your truck (which I haven't yet) then you want to get a return on your investment.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I love kicking peoples ass in my moms 96 buick laseaber Its got the 3.8 and it loves to go from a 60 punch. And so far i havent found a speed limmiter. I hit 110 or so once. the spedomotor went past 100 and went all the way the the park indcator.

·
hatetheblazer
537 Posts
Way too old of a thread...anyways when I street raced I beat a couple of Si's...so wtf?
They start pulling hard on high 3rd gear but on the first 2 I always beat them easily...and my truck is HEAVY...
P.S. those were stock si's only with intakes or aftermarket mufflers, prolly if they were loaded with mods they'd smoke my ass because when they are they are fast...

·
Registered
181 Posts
You sound like an accident waiting to happen, and taking about 5 people 6 feet under with yourself... Racing through traffic is NOT smart, or cool, or shows that you have any type of skill other than a heavy right foot.
I saw 2 punk kids on a highway in the states fly past me racing eachother, the one in front somehow started to swerve, and collided with the second car and they both went into the wall, at probably around 100 mph... but hey, it never would hapen to either of them kids!
now, I've raced on the streets, but when there is NO traffic, and normally its out here on a back road and its me and a buddy just playing around, it doesn't get stupid fast, we only take it up to about 100 km/hr (60 mph) and thats that. And even then we know its not the brightest thing to do.
all these kids in my town with coffee cans on their exhaust pipe thinking their economy car is fast should have licenses revoked, too many people get hurt.
I drive truck for my job and I see alot of bad shit on the roads... tends to smarten you up and slow you down a bit. nobody is invisible.
if you need to race on the road "rally style" get into a league (they have them everywhere) and do it properly if you are that good and that fast, you sure will win your division!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts