S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any in here? General contractors, etc?

GF is buying a house, and I want to add more insulation to the attic. Got a few questions, let me know if you have any useful input or advice.

Also, anyone know anything about the aluminized sheeting that gets stapled to rafters, etc? My dad was telling me it's good for blocking radiant heat, but no real significant R-value. Might be a little help for summers.

·
Sneaky White Person
9,765 Posts
i don't think i wouldn't worry about the radiant barriers too much up where you are.

what are your insulation questions? might get more help if we knew what you wanted to know :p

·
Registered
414 Posts
he prolly just wants to know what kind. i like the blow in stuff but kinda messy. you could just get rolls and roll it out.

should get expanda foam and fill the whole attic with it. lol j/k

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I have spray in and it seems to work well but its a pain in the ass if I need to work on any light fixtures that are cieling mounted. I would suggest getting 1 roll, putting that over any areas that are around anything cieling mounted then using spray in to fill the rest.

·
Useless posting member
10,828 Posts
Your dad is right, the R value on that foil sheeting is about a 1.5. It wont help much though if you put it on the inside of your rafters, like in the attic part, because the heat is already through your roof.

19" of attic insulation is recommended. The best way to accomplish that is to use blown in insulation, either cellulose or fiberglass, and then cover it with a rolled insulation. Or you could simply buy a high R-value insulation.

It kind of sounds like your dad is talking about vent chutes, which is a thin plastic or foam sheet that you staple to the rafters to help with ventilation.

Is there a Menard's store around you? They can help you out a lot. That's where I work.

·
It's our year!
15,344 Posts
The only thing that would suck is having to tear apart the drywall then install the insulation, then repair it. Is she really that set on the house? The work needed really should've been done during construction IMO.

·
Sneaky White Person
9,765 Posts
only attic insulation i've had experience with s the blown in kind. my parents house has the old multi colored shit and my house has the cute little pink cubes :p although a rolled in type would be easier for a DIY'er

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
my attic is blown in cotton fiber (1968 original) with roll in over top of it.(this past winter)

the utility bills are super low. In my city you have 1 bill for everything. water, gas, electric, sewer, and trash pickup.

this past month with the AC on constant and 1450 sq. ft. my entire bill was $169. and that's the highest it's ever been. In the winter time when I run the gas heat, I average around $120, but spring and fall it's usually like $80.

don't go with the blown in shit, it's a pain in the ass if it's the top layer, you have to breathe the shit in every time you go up there. I'd do roll in, and install the shit in the winter time so you won't sweat to death.

The metal shit is also useless, If your cieling is insulated, and your attic has plenty of vents then you really don't need a radiant heat barrier.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I worked for a contractor for many years , every house he built had blown insulation a nd the vent chutes "pink foam with ridges . They claim they work well for ventilation .

As stated above though if you ever pull down a light fixture box you will have a mess .

What are you wanting to acheive with it ?

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
I worked for a contractor for many years , every house he built had blown insulation a nd the vent chutes "pink foam with ridges . They claim they work well for ventilation .

As stated above though if you ever pull down a light fixture box you will have a mess .

What are you wanting to acheive with it ?

i'm a contractor. remember, we'll claim anything if it's less work for us. That's why they blow the shit in, it's easy and cheap

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, there aren't any recessed lights anywhere in the house, and I intend to keep it that way. I don't really care for their looks versus fire hazards. The reason we're set on this house, is that it's the best deal we're likely to find in this area, ever. 1250 sq ft, 2.5 city lots on a corner, 25x31 garage with an addition on the back and a lean-to on the back of that. 3 bedroom, 1 bath.

The purchase price is going to make the payments be about $100 more than the lot rent we're paying now.

I knew about the soffit vent panels, I just forgot to mention them. The house was built in the 50s, and it seems like anything the previous owners did, they didn't really have a plan for it. I'm not saying shit's done "wrong", they just kinda did it weird. I've already replaced all the electrical outlets, switches are next.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, I just remembered my other question. How does one determine how many bags of the cellulose I need? I'm going to be using the cocoon greenfiber stuff.
http://www.cocooninsulation.com/

Multiply the square footage of the house by 1.5? (adding 18" on top of whatever is already there, which isn't much)

So, roughly 1900 cubic feet, but how much does that stuff expand when it's loaded into the hopper and blown? Or, is that how it's designed to be figured, after it settles back down?

To the guy that said he works at Menard's, they're usually my last choice for building materials, only because of their location. It's another 10 miles across town to get to their store, even though they're a bit cheaper on the insulation.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it is on their website.

1 - http://www.cocooninsulation.com/_assets/PDFs/PM-6.3-19.pdf

that is for one of their bags.
Thanks, I didn't see that earlier.

Looks like I'll need roughly 75 bags, which means borrowing the BIG truck and trailer. That's also assuming there's nothing up there right now, so worst case scenario is $413. (I know there's some cellulose up there, I got some in my eye while I was patching a hole)

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
I prefer the role in stuff. Not hard to work with, and insulates much better then the blown in stuff. Adding atleast an R19 layer of insulation on top of whats allready there will help out alot. Is there a vapor barrier up in the attic allready? or no?

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I prefer the role in stuff. Not hard to work with, and insulates much better then the blown in stuff. Adding atleast an R19 layer of insulation on top of whats allready there will help out alot. Is there a vapor barrier up in the attic allready? or no?
http://rvalue.net/page5.html

Show me where the fiberglass insulates better? Also, with this house being nearly 60 years old, and having a couple additions on it, I'm going to have to deal with funky framing. blown-in > fiberglass, in that case, since I want to get into all the cracks, etc.

I really don't know if there's a vapor barrier or not. If not, do I lay that down on top of the insulation? (I would think so)

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
don't go with 18" of the blown in. You'll never be able to work around the stuff if you ever do decide to tie into any existing overhead electrical.

go 12" with it since there's already a little bit of insulation there. If you go thicker you'll never be able to find a truss to step on if you try to walk around up in there working or even storing things.

personally if i had blown in like my parent's house is i'd lay down a few sheets of cut up plywood across some of the rafters to walk on. plus it helps compact down the insulation in the center of the house helping the R value.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've never stored anything in the attic, and never intend to. That's what the garage is for. At least the rafters, anyway.

I was planning to lay down something to walk on. OSB is dirt cheap, so probably a few 12-16" wide pieces of that. I don't plan on adding anything electrical in the ceiling, except for maybe a ceiling fan. I was going to put the wiring in place for it before I did the insulation, tho.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts