S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Rocker layin member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started bodydropping the Hotrod Thursday. The frame horns are done and I will start on the cab tommorrow. The bed is already done.

I am only going 2.5 inches because I took the body mount bushings out 2 yrs ago.

Here is the tacked frame horns.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,419 Posts
woo!!!

·
Rocker layin member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and here's the finished horns.

I'll post more pics sat nite or sunday.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Ahh I hate to be a kill joy, but why did you take out the bushings???? thats kinda ghetto, plus it kills your ride quality. I think since your doing the body rop anyways maybe you should put them back in and body drop it more, because ridding without busings just doesnt seem right, someone help me out here....

·
Rocker layin member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How would you know that it kills your ride quality? Have you ever felt poly bushings? They are hard as a rock. I didn't notice any difference in ride quality at all. I think it is a good idea since I don't have to bd as much as I would if I left them in.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Well as long as you can stand the ride, I was trying to be a dick, I just know that they are there for a reason, plus if you ask people like Matt or Larry or someone thats in the suspension stuff they would probably say it wasnt such a good idea, but hey man whatever works....

Looks good anyways... I bet that 406 will roast the hell out of the hides....

·
circa 1996
500 Posts
yea they are there to absorb vibrations from the chassis.I would suspect you could have problems with the body flexing too much and having problems with bodywork cracking and breaking the factory spot welds.So its sitting metal to metal? How much drop did that get you? Maybe a inch? what about the bed not lining up?

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
Thank you sammy, I thought I was the only one that objected to doing this, I'd say thats why the bed was already body dropped, he probably dropped it the hight he wanted and then shimmed it to match the cab....

L

·
0 Posts
LoW_1 said:
I was trying to be a dick
LOL, I think you forgot the nt on the end of was.

Anywho, I agree about the bushings, I would of kept them in but it looks good.

And yeah what about the bed not matching up?

·
Rocker layin member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The body work is all okay. I was a little worried about the cab seams and that kind of stuff, but nothing happened. It's not like it's a daily driver or anything.

The bed is bodydropped 7". Seems like a lot, but there is a lot of stuff under there. My fuel cell, air tank, valves, battery, and compressor are all under there. I bded the bed last spring so I just need to redo the mounts to match it with the cab now. I was planning on an eventual bodydrop so I made sure i had a 3" gap between the bed floor and all the stuff under there.

Has anybody run into problems with the radiator fill cap being lower than the water neck on the motor? The hose to the puke tank is supposed to be at the highest point in the system to purge the air bubbles. I am thinking about welding the fill cap on the radiator shut and buying one of those water neck/fill things like a lot of race cars use.

Sorry for the long post, I should have some more pics up tonite. I am cutting the floor out right now.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
i love your truck. now its getting a body drop. i love it even more. ive been looking a lot at your under bed pics because thats what im dong right now. and ive got e the same tank as you and fuell cell. and all that shit. kinda hard to fit it all under there.

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
lol sometimes I forget to add things to words, lol but I really wasnt...

That is a good point, my radiator filler hole is lower then the thermostat housing on my truck, I sure hope I dont end up having problems with that....

·
Rocker layin member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did some more work on it Saturday.

I am cutting the cab differently than most people do to avoid steering/header issues. Please reserve judgement until you see the finished pics. I already know the drawbacks of cutting it like I did. Let's just see if I can make it work.

First pic of the firewall cut

Attachments

·
Rocker layin member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Firewall cut from motor side.

Attachments

·
Rocker layin member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Under hood shot with the cab dropped. Looks a little different than standard bd because i cut above the brakes.

Attachments

·
Rocker layin member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's one of the drawbacks of cutting it the way I did. The booster and master cylinder stick out of the hood. I think I can get away with an 8" booster and an angled reservoir from a newer camaro.

Attachments

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
I know what you said, but your going to have major steering problems on the inside of the cab, due to the fact that the steering column on the inside went up with the floor, so I hope you thought of that as well....

1 - 20 of 92 Posts