S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a hot smell since I've been driving the 85 to work and discovered the passengers floor is almost hot enough to burn my hand. I can keep my hand on it no problem. Feel like wet concrete that been in the sun all day on a 75 degree day. It's not smoking but I think it has something to do with the rediculous cerry bomb that under that area

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cherry*

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the packing inside insulating the heat or something? I think I may ditch it, it makes the exhaust sound like crap and let's the clicks pass through.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could I wrap it in header wrap to keep radiation down?

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Is your timing somewhat retarded? That usually causes hot exhaust.

On S10s, the cat is located under the passenger floorboard with a heat sheild above it. The muff is behind that before the axle as you know.
If you don't have a cat any more, I suggest running a pipe in its place and relocating the g pack to where the muff is usually located.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its at about 15 btdc, installed new cam straight up and it has 4 degrees ground in so its at 19 btdc. the bomb has a large radius so it brings the bomb closer to the crossmember and floor pan. been cat free since 2008 egr is also disabled.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it sounds clicky and is got a awful resonating hum i know i need to get a new run from the y back. Any recomendations on a super quiet muffler? the thrush muff i have really doesnt muff anything.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Muffs are subjective... I prefer redhead ones myself... :p a little fluffy...

A flowblaster is way loud on the V6. Try a regular turbo form Jegs or Summit. They are cheap and not too quiet.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The old Walker muffler that was on it was super quiet, however I lost it at 65 mph on the highway one day when it decided to fall off the tailpipe and intermediate pipe. I might have to just get a whole new walker setup. New y, new intermediate,, and new walker tailpipe.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,268 Posts
Muffs are subjective... I prefer redhead ones myself... :p a little fluffy...

A flowblaster is way loud on the V6. Try a regular turbo form Jegs or Summit. They are cheap and not too quiet.
I'm okay with the redheads too...:haha:...But brunettes can be nice too.

My floorboard on my truck is hot as hell there too. To the point of ridiculous...I don't think this is as uncommon as you'd think. When I put the 3.4 in my truck I had the carpet out. It was July outside and I could feel the heat on either side coming through my shoes and the heat radiating off the floor. The carpet padding/mat keeps that heat at bay. Since mine has headers that may contribute some, but it was still hot even with the manifolds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
jimmykicker
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing