S-10 Forum banner

Hot engine

901 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  944v8indfw 
#1 ·
I see heat building on the outside of the windshield. Very hot on the driver side. I recently replaced intake manifold gasket, distributor, Radiator and both hoses. There is some liquid that seems to be dripping from the rear of the engine but I can’t see where it is coming from. Or really identify the liquid. It’s dark but the engine bay was really dirty. The truck isn’t overheating. I’ve also replaced the thermostat. It’s also wet on the on the driver side behind the oil filter. I can’t figure it out and I live in Arizona so seeing heat on the windshield is baffling.

#2 ·
I'd start by giving the engine a good bath. Lots of engine degreaser. Then check for leaks and where they're coming from. Why did you replace the intake gaskets?...leak? You may have moved a gasket on install creating a coolant/oil leak. check the oil. Make sure it doesn't 't look like a chocolate shake...that would be water in the oil, and it will destroy the engine. When you say heat on the windshield, do you mean steam?

#3 ·
What I can only imagine to be steam. It looks like dried up water spots that spackle about half way up the windshield. It did have an intake leak. I took it to the car wash today that had an engine degreaser. But when starting it you can see it dry up with windshield very quickly

#9 ·
That could be the cause of your leak. RTV on the ends of the block is OK. Actually necessary, but you aren't supposed to put any on the rubber sealing surfaces of the actual manifold gasket. Unfortunately not all gaskets include an instruction sheet that states that.
Which gaskets did you use? The improved and expensive ones or just whatever the parts store had? We only recommend the better ones because they really are better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.