S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Icy S-10
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool: any suggestions on what material to use to build an intake that wont absorb to much heat?where can i get these materials? Ihave a 98 4.3.:idea:

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Just spend the $200 and get the K&N Gen II. It is well worth the money and bolts very easily and has the heatshield and everything. It is worth it. You only have to drill 2 small holes to screw the heatshield in and that is it. The rest is direct bolton. Very easy and one of my best mods.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I used 3" ABS sewer pipe and heavy duty rubber elbow and couplers. Cost $10, looks great and flows 3" from filter to throttle unlike the stock tube thats squashed down to fit over the shroud. I also cut the front off the air box so now its completely open. I can feel a big improvement. Intake makes a funny noise now but I can live with that.

·
Icy S-10
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
intake

:cool: :evilg: That looks good FAST98SS350, but I was thinking of routing a pipe down the wheelwell and out the engine compartment, because of the hot air around the radiator.

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
looks good, but your engine bay looks like it could use a bath! also it looks alot like my first gen!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Sorry fast98 but that definately doesn't flow better than the Gen II system. I am sorry but it doesn't. It definately flows better than a stock airbox but I will take my Gen II over it anyday!!! Please clean the engine bay!!!

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
yea i no i dont flow better i was gettin the gen II but when i decided to go with droppin in a 350vortec i gave up pretty much on the v6 mods, and the engine bay is so dirty cuz of the dust around my house, i wash my truck and engine everyday just about but i come back outside and its all brown again:mad:

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
I'm working on creating a custom intake and I should have it done within a week or two, I'll post some pics when I'm finished...

·
Need MO POWER
17 Posts
i went with a SLP cold air intake on my 99 noma cuz i figure SLP makes HI-Per. parts JUST for gm so they should know what they'r doin, when i got the package i was disapointed how simple it was, but let me tell you when i put it in, i can feel a world of diffrance. cost $200 will post track times this Sat at C-bad

·
Fleetwood Truckers So. Cal.
306 Posts
I had a custom intake on my 99, I used a honda civic air intake pipe and a S&B air filter it was fine till I tried something different

Attachments

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Pics of my custom intake...this is the first stage of my intake, I'm planning on eventually having a full intake, similar to a gen II, but mine will be made out of 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust tubing, and painted to match body color :)

Attachments

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
LOWRDS10 said:
I had a custom intake on my 99, I used a honda civic air intake pipe and a S&B air filter it was fine till I tried something different
Planning on doing something like that. I got the same filter as Fast98ss350 (only mine cost $19:bash: ) and autozone has Civic intake tubes for $40. :evilg: complete intake for $60:evilg:

·
Need MO POWER
17 Posts
i ran at Carlsbad raceway on sat and Fontana raceway on sunday, i wanted to see the improvments in my time since i added the SLP cold air intake & hypertech power programer III.
last month with only a Gibson exuast and MSD & wires i ran a consistant 17.01 @ 81 mph all day
After adding SLP & PPIII this past saturday i ran a best time of 16.2 @85.07 mph with a reaction time of .511 at around 4:30/5 pm when it cooled off a little but all day 16.4/6/7 worse time of 17.05 @82.37 mph (red lite .393) lol
my point is the SLP intake works well and is cheeper than the K&N and the Volants both over $250
yes maybe not the $135 like the Airaid but thats not a cold air box like SLP, whatever you buy or build you need to make sure it is not sucking hot air form your engine bay otherwise it not a "COLD AIR SYSTEM" like the above pictures will take a pic and post soon, hope this helps

have fun TC

·
Icy S-10
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
trakBum said:
i ran at Carlsbad raceway on sat and Fontana raceway on sunday, i wanted to see the improvments in my time since i added the SLP cold air intake & hypertech power programer III.
last month with only a Gibson exuast and MSD & wires i ran a consistant 17.01 @ 81 mph all day
After adding SLP & PPIII this past saturday i ran a best time of 16.2 @85.07 mph with a reaction time of .511 at around 4:30/5 pm when it cooled off a little but all day 16.4/6/7 worse time of 17.05 @82.37 mph (red lite .393) lol
my point is the SLP intake works well and is cheeper than the K&N and the Volants both over $250
yes maybe not the $135 like the Airaid but thats not a cold air box like SLP, whatever you buy or build you need to make sure it is not sucking hot air form your engine bay otherwise it not a "COLD AIR SYSTEM" like the above pictures will take a pic and post soon, hope this helps

have fun TC
:cool: you are right, that was the point I was trying to make.I made my own cold intake by sealing the stock airbox,then making a 4inch hole on the bottom of the box and made a 5inch hole on the driver fenderwell. Ran an aluminum 4inch pipe from the box to out of the engine compartment,sealed it and dropped in a k&n filter,works for me $25 for a real cold air intake.:D Let me know when you will go to the track again,i wouild like to go and run my truck.How about this weekend?:evilg:

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
watch out for puddles

1 - 20 of 32 Posts