S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna be making a trip to Lowe's, 40 miles away, and going to pick up some pvc piping and stuff to make a CPI cold air intake... I thought before I did trial and error with it and before I went out in the rain to make measurements I thought I would ask you guys. What size piping and size fittings do I need to get to make this happen? Also for now is the cone filter at autozone at the ricer section any good? Im really tight on money till Christmas is over and Im going to be making a trip to Dallas in a few days and would like to see how it does on the highway. Also what did you guys use for a heatsheild? Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
im not to sure on the measurements but there is a really good 'how to' in the ::gasps:: 'how to' section =) great pictures and all, i believe they used a for sale sign for their heat shield hehehe

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats not for the CPI engine... Its for the TBI engine. Total different intake setup.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
I would think 3", but you should really measure to be sure.

[EDIT]

If you would like some ideas as to how it should be constructed, take a surf over to eBay and search for s-10 cold air intakes--They almost always have some with pictures, which you could use for a partial plan for your DIY intake.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I just got done measuring it and it is 3 Inches... Now I dont know if I want to make it from the first rubber fitting or the second because the CPI intake is shaped to clear the hood, the fan, and the altenator.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah thats the same one on ebay that I looked at... Dont know where to get any metal piping like that... PVC piping should do the trick.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
$149! that guy's really kidding himself...

The only diff between using metal and pvc is the sound. Metal piping will change your truck's sound much more than plastic, and it is shiny, but performance-wise there is no difference.

I would replace both rubber pieces, they are very restrictive. However, that plastic pipe may be completely open, for all i know. I would look in there and decide if it's overly restrictive, if not you could use it and avoid the clearance issue entirely.

IF you do want to replace it:

Put a 1/4" board on top of that flattened piece of intake pipe and gently try to close the hood. This will tell you if that flat spot is actually needed for clearance, or if you have the extra room.

I wouldn't consider it touching some a problem...as long as closing the hood isn't going to break something.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I get that 3" metal pipe at Lowe's? If not where did you get it from?

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
You'd probably have to have an exhaust shop bend it to your spec. with a mandrel bender.

I doubt any standard bent pipe would fit too well.

·
Newbie for Life
111 Posts
I have an old one from my eclipse that looks like it may be the right shape. I bet that will fit or one for a honda would.

The only diffence between metal and plastic is with heat. A plastic one doesn't transfer as much heat, but it could melt under extreme conditions. Also when you "make" one you need to watch what you use for your connectors, because many will easily melt.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You think that the PVC would stand Oklahoma Summers? Im guessing it would. PVC isnt the weakest stuff but not the toughest either... I went to Autozone today and looked in the "Ricer Section" and saw the Cone filter for $25... Its a 3 inch and thats the perfect size for what I need. I think im gonna have to result to that instead of a K&N for a while

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
PVC will be fine under the hood, that's what I made my DIY out of, have had no melting problems.

I used a $25 cone filter from auto zone as well, has worked fine, even matches my paint job!

But a word of caution, 3" PVC is 3" inside diameter--That filter will fit a 3" outside diameter pipe.

I used 3" pvc and this 3" filter would not fit over it. I had a 3" rubber fitting lying around so I used that to connect the filter to the pipe..has worked, but I had it fall off once--you realy have to crank it on there.

A better option would be to buy a K&N univeral cone filter to fit whatever the outside diameter of 3" PVC is (I think 3.5"). Not only would this be a higher quality filter, you should not have the problem of it falling off. However, you can expect to pay more, to be sure.

Look here for the part number you'll need to purchase a universal filter.
http://www.knfilters.com/universal/univrndtap.htm

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright thanks alot bro... That helps out alot. Im gonna have to find something that will fix that 3 inch problem

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Here's the one I did on my '93 Blazer. It cost me a total of $65. The pipe was custom bent at a local exhaust shop. It took the guy maybe 5 minutes to do it and cost $20. The heat shield is some spare lexan I had lying around. The filter is a K&N 9" cone that cost $45.
I would much rather have a metal pipe than some ghetto looking sewer pvc pipe under my hood.

·
Registered
142 Posts

do you have the part # off that K&N filter your using?

thanks,
scott

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey thanks for the pics in the email and on the board. That helps me out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts