S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was over at the dealer yesterday and everybody was checking out my home made guages.

cost me about $15cdn in materials. used a white plastic, a permanent felt pen, and a light box to trace the original from.

and it glows blue in the dark.

check it out. tell me what you think.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
easy :

1. peel your guages and take a photo copy. put it on a light box (plywood box with a light bulb and plexiglass on one side)

2. buy a white piece of plastic from office depot (usually a presentation folder for $1.99). buy a black and red fine point permanent felt pen (sharpie pen $2.99)

3. put the plastic on top of the photo copy and start tracing with the feltpen. if you make a mistake use an eraser (steadler $0.99). you may makeup a logo and trace it on if you like. (ie xtreme, s10, gmc....)

4. cut the oil, temp, speedo, tach, volt and gas part of the original guages leaving the dummy lights. trace and cut the the new guages so it fits in the oil, temp, spedo...etc part. snap the black trim in place so the seams are hidden

5. buy some blue instrument lightbulb condoms ($5.99 at lordco). and install to make it glow in the dark. you can buy what ever color you want (blue, green, purple, pink, fusia...)

6.put every thing together and you got guages for less than $12 bucks.... a lot better than $160.

·
Registered
45 Posts
those do look pretty mint for making them yourself.

the piece of plastic you bought was white, right? do the 98+ models have a black trim piece that goes over it or something? or did you paint around the circles black? on my truck it just looks like one flat piece of plastic.

do you have any night time pics of the gauges? im curious to see how they look at night.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jware187 said:
those do look pretty mint for making them yourself.

the piece of plastic you bought was white, right? do the 98+ models have a black trim piece that goes over it or something? or did you paint around the circles black? on my truck it just looks like one flat piece of plastic.

do you have any night time pics of the gauges? im curious to see how they look at night.
thanks. yes the plastic is white, same thickness as the stock guages and almost the same texture, and yes 98+ models have a black plastic insert on them.

if you want an insert on your early model sec gen, make one. buy a 1/8" aluminum from your hobby shop, recyling shop, or a piece of scrap fom a fabrication shop. use the photocopy of your guages and cut circles for the guages. use it as a template and trace it on the aluminum. cut the holes with a jigsaw. sand, polish with sandpaper. glue it to your home made guages. and instant aluminum guage insert.

here's a night time pic of the guages. sorry, its the best i can do with my home made camera.:D :D :D .j/k

Attachments

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
y2k xtreme said:
one question...what do you mean "peel the guages"???
peel the guages: take the guage housing off the dash, un-snap the cover/black insert, pop the needles off, and literally peel the stock plastic face off the guage assembly. the face is being held in place with soft adhesive. it's easy to remove just use your fingers.

dont forget to record the needle positions with the engine on, before you do any thing. so you what position to put it back.

·
3.0 SHO
13 Posts
AWESOME!!!!!!!

Man that kicks arss! I can't believe how good it looks! Not 2 mention how much money u saved, and talk about custom, love the xtras u added yourself. Two BIG thumbs up!

·
Registered
23 Posts
That looks really sweet. I was just wondering though what if you scan the gauges into a computer, scale it to the right size and then you can do all kinds of stuff to it. I think you would be able to print on the plastic stuff.

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
JDN2424 said:
That looks really sweet. I was just wondering though what if you scan the gauges into a computer, scale it to the right size and then you can do all kinds of stuff to it. I think you would be able to print on the plastic stuff.
The man has got a point! Why can't we do that?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Attachments

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JDN2424 said:
i was thinking of that but the problem is, you got to have the proper type of printer ink, the permanent stuff. if you dont have the proper ink, youre going to end up with a big black smear on your plastic.

a solution is, print it on a clear overhead projector platic and lay this on top of your white plastic. the printer ink should be compatible with that stuff. the only problem is converting the black background of the factory guages to clear.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
joe_villa said:

i was thinking of that but the problem is, you got to have the proper type of printer ink, the permanent stuff. if you dont have the proper ink, youre going to end up with a big black smear on your plastic.

a solution is, print it on a clear overhead projector platic and lay this on top of your white plastic. the printer ink should be compatible with that stuff. the only problem is converting the black background of the factory guages to clear.
not really I believe HP still makes the white transperancy inkjet paper(well plastic) it is designed not to run or anything. Could be the ticket.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not really I believe HP still makes the white transperancy inkjet paper(well plastic) it is designed not to run or anything. Could be the ticket.
i've never heared of that. that plastic that you use must be thick or you will see the imperfection of the clear part of the guage asembly, you will see what i mean when you peel the stock guages off. give it a try and keep us updated.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and here is a scan of my stock guages, the part that i cut out. i shunk it to 25%, there is a ruler on the side so you know how to enlarge it to original size.

Attachments

·
Niner Hater
195 Posts
dude, those gauges look sweet..... doesn't sound too difficult to do either....but i was wondering, what about the odometer display?......how/what did you use to dispay the odometer readings?........L8R :bash:

1 - 20 of 245 Posts