S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
tits, clits or bong hits
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to make my own tonneau cover but I wanted on that could be painted the same color as my truck. I went through a bunch of differnt ideas, fiberglassing one my self, fiber glassing over wood etc. But now I thank I got an idea that will work

the other day I was at the local metal scrap yard
And they have about 100 huge pices of thin stainless steel plenty big for a tonneau cover.
what I plan to do is get 1 sheet and some 1"x2" tubeing and weld a frame for it and then sand it primer and paint it. Any one ever done this or seen anything like this or even thank of any probs I might have when doing this?

total cost should be under $100

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
if you had mor emoney i would reccomend fiberglassing a cover the one i got is good but the metal should work nicely. if you have an orange truck i would put a black top on it to match the fender flares. black top goes nicely on white.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:02redxbla What you need is to make a frame that goes along the top of your bed. the metal should about 1"-1 1/2" wide and not very thick. then weld the metal sheet on top of the frame to give support to it so it doesn't bend. then to make it real cool is to buy two actuators that will raise your bed cover by a flip of a switch. you can get them at www.autoloc.com

·
tits, clits or bong hits
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kwb321 said:
:02redxbla What you need is to make a frame that goes along the top of your bed. the metal should about 1"-1 1/2" wide and not very thick. then weld the metal sheet on top of the frame to give support to it so it doesn't bend. then to make it real cool is to buy two actuators that will raise your bed cover by a flip of a switch. you can get them at www.autoloc.com

that my plan.. I wanting to paint it orange like my truck..

I called a sheet metal place and they told me that they could cut me a pice of 22G sheet metal and make it 1 1/2 " longer on each end and bend it down for $80 so $80 for the sheet metal $20 for some 1x2" metal tube..
My only concern is the weight of it I dont want a 300lb cover lol
So Now Im looking it to making it out of aluminum (SP)

·
V8 Horsepower junkie
15 Posts
Theres a truck around here thats got a painted cover, all it is (or looked like) is a peice of thick sheetmetal that had been folded underneath around the edges. wasn't the best one I've ever seen, but it did look nice.

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
get it painted orange...i know someone that has an orange truck and it looks sick with a flush mounted cover painted the same

1 - 6 of 6 Posts