S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
REDNECK LOWRIDER
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a tannoue cover for my truck because I'm wanting to do a cut through for my subs and I'm just curious if anyone has made their own and if so how did you go about doing it. Post pics if you have them, I've got ideas about how to do it but I'd like to see some others. Thanks guys

·
Grounded 4 Life
2,158 Posts
Here are some old pics of mine, cant see it all to well, but you get the idea.

It was bent out of an aluminum sheet, and sits down in a rail that runs around the inside of the bed.

I just finished up hooking up a set of linear actuators to open it, rather then the gas struts that i first used.

·
REDNECK LOWRIDER
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinkin about using a piece of sheet metal putting supports under it and just welding it on the insides of my bed so its all smooth and so no one can get in it, thats just one of the ideas though

·
Registered
960 Posts
Here are some old pics of mine, cant see it all to well, but you get the idea.

It was bent out of an aluminum sheet, and sits down in a rail that runs around the inside of the bed.

I just finished up hooking up a set of linear actuators to open it, rather then the gas struts that i first used.

Do you have any pics of the underside?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i was thinking of making one, cut a piece of plywood to fit flush with the bed, then lay fiberglass over the whole thing, smooth it out, pull it off the plywood, make some mounts and mount some gas shocks.. just my idea

and so the fiberglass doesnt stick to the wood lay tinfoil down first

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm interested in how it's braced underneath and how thick it is in the bed. I have a checkmate now and don't care for it but it serves it's purpose. Also would like to see how he did the railing underneath. I have an idea of how to do it just want pics to solidfy my idea.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I made one for my 96 GMC fullsize. I just used 1/2 inch square tubing for the frame, two lengths of angle on the inside of the bed rail for the frame to sit on, covered it with steel sheet metal, and put a piano hinge on front (didn't put any shocks on it). It was pretty damn heavy. I didn't have money for aluminum. A piece of sheet steel wide enough to cover that thing was kinda hard to find.

I think the fiberglass idea would be cool. Not sure how that would compare to aluminum or steel cost wise, after it's all said and done. If you're just gonna smooth it in and not make it open, it oughta be pretty easy.

Nooj

·
Registered
960 Posts
I made one for my 96 GMC fullsize. I just used 1/2 inch square tubing for the frame, two lengths of angle on the inside of the bed rail for the frame to sit on, covered it with steel sheet metal, and put a piano hinge on front (didn't put any shocks on it). It was pretty damn heavy. I didn't have money for aluminum. A piece of sheet steel wide enough to cover that thing was kinda hard to find.

I think the fiberglass idea would be cool. Not sure how that would compare to aluminum or steel cost wise, after it's all said and done. If you're just gonna smooth it in and not make it open, it oughta be pretty easy.

Nooj

What did it cost you to build it? I never priced aluminum or anything and what is easist to work with? Can you build in your own garage or am I gonna need a shop to help?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts