S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had this mod done about a month ago, but i just got the pics developed.

made it from 1/8" sheet aluminum, nuts and bolts, and a can of spray paint. and no welding required.

what do you think? i got step by step pics if any body is interested in making one.

Attachments

·
Niner Hater
195 Posts
Joe's the man

hey Joe......Dude, you are the man!!!....that grille looks sweet.

I think you need to change your member name to
HOMEMADE_JOE. HAHAHA!!!! :D

L8R

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha ha ha ha. thanks buddy. next project: home made 20" wheels made out of plywood. :D :D :D j/k

i'll try to post some step by step pics tonite.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rhino said:
That looks ****in sweet.. About how much did it run you total with parts and all.. compared to what 60 bucks for the regular billet grill...
let's see:

1/8" sheet aluminum -$10
can of spray paint -$2.99
nuts and bolts -$3
sandpaper -free

say about $15-$16 bucks. not bad considering the cheapest price i can get locally is $134cdn. and that is the ****ty stuff with 5 bars on top and 4 at the bottom. my home made have 7 on top and 6 at the bottom.

so i say a little over $10us you can make your own the way you want it.

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
here's how you make one:

1. stick a piece of cardboard between the grill and bumper and trace the curvature of the grill. cut the cardboard and use as a template.

2. trace the template onto a 1/8" thick sheet aluminum. using a jigsaw with a steel blade, cut 13 strips of 3/4" wide 28" long.

3. drill two 1/4"holes on each strip. make sure the holes line up with the two vertical bars of your stock grill. counter sink the two top strips so that you can use a flat heat bolt.

4. bolt all the strips together. grind the front face of the grill so it's even. then use a beltsander with a 100grit. finish it off with a palmsander 150grit, then 220grit.

5. use a hacksaw to cut the ends so it fits inside the stock grill. piece should be approx 26" long. use the template as a sample before cutting.

6. unbolt the strips apart and paint individually with a black spray paint.

7. assemble the grill using 14"20 flat head bolts. top has 7 strips, bottom has 6strips. use a nut in between the strips and a nylock nut to lock everything together. use stainless steel hard ware and locktite.

8. cut the ends of the top and bottom strip of each grill 1/8" shorter so it fits inside the stock grill. check for fit.

9. paint the whole grill with a black spray paint. let dry.

10. use a sander with 220grit to remove the paint off the front face. finish off with a 320 grit for a brushed look, or go up to 1000grit for a polished look.

11. use tywrap(zip ties) to install. tywrap the two bolts to the vertical part of the stock grill.

12. stand back and admire....

sorry for the lengh. :D

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's some pics that corespond to the ins tructions above:

Attachments

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nuts and bolts. i used a bolt to go through the whole grill, nuts in between the plates, and a nylock nut to hold everything together.

welding would have been a better option but i've never used a welder before.

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Hi Joe:

That looks great. From the photos, it looks like the upper bar on the lower grille has a piece cut out of its center to clear the bowtie emblem. If so, each side is held on with only one bolt, right? How do you keep them from moving around (rotating on the single bolt) from vibration? Just wondering.

Regards,
John.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
damn i could have done that because i had to cut a LOT of material out of my grill to make it sit in front of my fans...good work..

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the_tool_man said:
Hi Joe:

That looks great. From the photos, it looks like the upper bar on the lower grille has a piece cut out of its center to clear the bowtie emblem. If so, each side is held on with only one bolt, right? How do you keep them from moving around (rotating on the single bolt) from vibration? Just wondering.

Regards,
John.
yeah, i cut a notch on the upper bar of the lower grill to clear the bowtie. to prevent it from flopping around i had to drill and tap a 10/32 screw trough the top bar and the next bar to hold it together. it's kinda small so you dont see it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
all i gotta say joe, that grille looks like the t!ts man. fits that truck like a condom, excellent work. BTW......how much will you make me one for??

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry bud, i'm too busy to make one for anybody. but, you can build it yourself, it's not that hard. probly take you the whole day to build one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts